Ok, today is going to be short because the kids are just not cooperating well, and it is hard to write when I just keep thinking (and saying), "Cut it out, stop arguing!" etc...
The first thing that came to mind about Chapter 16, was "duh!". Of course Sarai was going to get angry about the whole situation... I know I would... so why even put yourself in that situation... but then I got off my judgemental soap box and realized that I have done this same basic thing many times before... not quite in this way, but I have had my best intentions blow up in my face because I didn't follow God's leading, and instead tried to lead myself... then, I, too have found myself trying to shift the blame off myself because I felt yucky enough about things already.
Also, just the obvious comment about the fighting between the jewish and arabian people going back to this time.
Chapter 17: I liked the side notes in my bible that commented that circumcision then did not confer salvation any more than baptism does today. Interesting note.
Chapter 18: I thought it interesting that Abraham must not have told Sarah about the baby thing prior to this... which made me wonder what she must have been thinking when he went through the whole circumcision/name change thing. I also wondered why Abraham didn't just ask God outright to save the city, if he was going to be bold and ask anyway. I don't think I would have had the guts to even ask, though, at all, so kuddos to Abraham... and thank God for being merciful... which ties into my thoughts on Chapter 19...
The side notes gave a reference to 2 Peter 2:7, which was an encouragement that when we are in despair about living in a fallen world, we must remember that God will save His children (if not presently, then at least eternally). Also, there was a reference note to Ezekiel 16:49 (and on), as to why God destroyed Sodom... scary when comparing to the US now, especially the "overfed and unconcerned" part.
Sorry that I have to go but look forward to reading Genesis 20-23 tomorrow.
God Bless,
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-16:2 this bad idea was Sarai's idea, and Abram agreed to it. Both are obviously at fault, but it made me think about how the things I suggest to my husband may lead him astray. Then v.5 she blames him. LOVE it! And pretty sure I do the same thing. Ok, different circumstances, of course, but the blame thing, gotta work on that.
ReplyDelete-17:2 God's will was still completed, despite Abram's sin.
Your notes were great. Thanks for taking the time, even when things are crazy!
The one thing that stood out was that Abram and Sarai both are not truthful at times. Abram stated Sarai was his sister, so that he would not be killed. Sarai stated the she did not laugh when the Lord had said she will have a son by this time next year. Both had the heart for Lord, and both sinned.
ReplyDeleteGod loves and gives us grace, mercy, and joy!
Sandj