Sunday, March 28, 2010

1 Samuel 10 today...... 1_Samuel 11 tomorrow...

Read it.
Sandj


Chapter 10: verse 1... interesting that Saul was annointed in private... I guess it wasn't time for his appointment to be made know to everyone else yet... maybe God wanted to give Saul a heads up so he had time to digest the idea and get his feet firm on the ground again?
verse 2-4... I wonder if Samuel (and God) is giving Saul all these predictions of the future, so Saul can be reminded that yes, everything he has been through over the past day is really true... I can only imagine how confused and amazed he must be... I would be waiting to "wake up" from the "dream"... and as I got further from the town, and closer to home, I would become more convinced that I had dreamed it... so, by giving Saul several reminders along the way, and the final "hurrah" (verse 5-6) close to home, God is kind of telling Saul, yup, it's really true.
vesre 5... wonder what they were prophesying about?... was it about Saul or other stuff?
verse 6... wonder if Saul was propheysing about the same stuff the other people were? I wonder if they were prophesying in God's Spirit, too? (1 Peter 1:20-21)... I love how it says that he will be changed into a different person... isn't that what it is still like now, when we accept Jesus, and receive God's Spirit, we are changed into different people, too (2 Corinthians 5:17)... several times in Acts, people spoke because they were filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2, and 4)... and Jesus began His ministry when He was baptized and the Holy Spirit decended on Him (Luke 3:21-23)...
vesre 7... now that is a reassurance if I ever heard one!... it almost sounds like permission to do whatever he wants... but there is a limit... he is to do whatever his hand FINDS to do... makes me think that he is not to try to create things to do... but instead to do whatever God presents before him, and to do it with confidence in knowing that God is there guiding him (like He is with Samuel)... this reminds me of the several verses that talk about if we ask we will receive... yet those verses always have a similar limit set (as seen here with Saul)... we are to ask in God's will... like it says in James 4:3, if we ask with wrong motives we will not receive things... yet, when we ask according to God's will and for His glory, He is happy to oblige our requests and will give us whatever we ask in order to carry out this task of furthering His glory (1 John 5:14-15).
vesre 9... so God changed Saul's heart from unbelief to belief?
verse 11-12... makes me think about Jesus and the people who knew Him growing up, how they asked similar questions (Matthew 13:54-57)... when God is in someones life, the change is noticeable... if it is not, we need to ask ourselves why?... is it because we never truly let God into our lives? or maybe we did and now we are renigging and not let Him have our whole life?... maybe it's something else???... I do have to laugh at how the man says "and who is their father" (assuming he is meaning who is the father of any of the people who are prophesying, maybe he is meaning God is, I don't know)... but anyway, I think that it is funny that that is then followed up by saying "So it bacame a saying"... you would assume the man's words "who's their father" would be the saying, but no, the saying is "is Saul also among the prophets"... just thought it was amusing... anyway, moving on...
vesre 14-17... wonder why Saul didn't tell his uncle... was it not time for others to know? was Saul uncertain or ashamed? was he worried that his uncle might try to usurp the kingship or something? ???
verse 17-18... kind of funny how God says, "alright now, I've done everything for you, but I guess I'm not good enough for you, so get lined up so I can do more things for you, so you can have the 'king' who will do all those things you need done that apparently I can't do" :)
veres 20-21... Saul must have been so nervous waiting for everyone to find out
verse 22... now that is a good beginning don't you think... really oozes confidence... for your new king to be hiding among the baggage... great start, Saul :)
verse 23-24... did God choose Saul because of his height, so that he would fit the physical description of what the people thought a king should look like?... reminds me of how the people thought Jesus should come as a king, yet how God doesn't always do things the way people think He should, yet He is always right about how He does choose to do things (Zechariah 9:9-10, Matthew 21:1-11, Matthew 27:11, Matthew 27:35-38, Luke 22:25-27, John 18:33-40)
verse 25... I wonder what all the regulations of the kingship were? (see Deuteronomy 17:14-20)
vesre 26... cool to know that those people closest to you also had hearts for God and were chosen by Him
verse 27... interesting that Saul stayed silent... was that because he, too, wondered if he could save them? was it because he had God's Spirit which helped him remain silent instead of take revenge? or ???... I never realized all the similarities between Saul's origin as king of the Isrealites, and Jesus's kingship over the Isrealites (and all of us)... Saul was their first fleshly king and Jesus was their true king... interesting
sandJ

1 comment: