I woke up this morning with the 5 children and helped the little ones change their clothes. I asked everyone to brush their teeth. I walked out into the living room as Isaac asked me to make over easy eggs for him. I stated yes and asked if he like to have one or two eggs and one or two toast? He wanted two for both. Then I asked him to do a load of laundry. Then, he asked if he had to fold the clothes too? This gave me an opportunity to sit and talk with Isaac. I had the opportunity to teach him about love. Look for the opportunities that God gives you and take time to LOVE.
I read Chapter 9-11 on audio. I really like the voice expressions that Max McLean uses during the reading. I will most likely read the bible through the audio the whole time. So, from now on, I will refer to as I read the bible. The kids were really good this morning. The younger three played well with each other, while I was reading the bible with the older two. They had lots of questions about Noah. This was a good lesson for all of us to learn together.
This was the time when God scattered the people over the earth and created different languages (tower of babel).
This was the time when Abram was introduced through the genealogy of his fathers.
Have to go… no more time to write.
Sandj
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Genesis 9-11 today... Genesis 12-15 tomorrow...
ReplyDeleteI thought it was interesting that God allowed people to become ominvores (no longer vegetarians) after the flood.
Also, I learned (from reading the side notes) that the blessing of "be fruitful..." given to both Adam, and now to Noah, is considered "the first great commission", and the Great Commission that we, as Christians, always think of (Matt 28:18-20) is apparently considered the 2nd Great Commission.
It was like a lightbulb going on for me when I read Gen 9:6, because I finally tied it together why God gets so angry when people hurt others... kind of a "duh", I know, but God takes this personally, because we are made in His image... so when we do that to others, we are in essense, doing it to God... now that puts a whole other level of why I should be nice to others, and why Jesus said that whatever we do to others we do to Him (Matt 25:31-46, 1 John 4:7-21)... if I truly love God, then I will show love to men, who are in His image... and if I do not love men, then I do not truly love God... so, the way I treat tellemarketers, the guy begging for money at the street corner, the lady with the crying kids at the store, the grumpy neighbor down the street, my husband, my kids, my parents, my siblings, etc... all show whether I really love God or not... now that is a "thinker" of a thought!
Also interesting in Chapter 9 is the recounting of Noah's actions with the wine... so "righteousness" does not mean "sinless"?... I'll leave it at that, as I think we will learn more about what "righteousness" means as we read more of the Bible.
After reading the geneology in Chapter 10, some of the conflicts between the Jewish people and all the other tribes (both in the Bible days and now) made more sense. So, here's a question we can all ponder (after looking over the geneology from today's reading and other parts of the Bible and history that we know)... it is not new, but largely debated today: Are the conflicts (and human behavior in general) based on long held rivals/beliefs (nurture), corrupt verse good bloodlines (nature), continued bad personal choices (so neither nature or nurture, but all based on human choice), or a combination of all three?
Chapter 11 (The Tower of Babel) was kind of a warning that we should look at today... are we, as a nation, and as a world, wanting unity to become closer to God, or to become like God? Something to really think about.
Also, just interesting to see how the life spans drastically decreased over time.
Ok, so that's it for me today... but please feel free to add more as you discover it. Please join in reading Genesis 12-15 tomorrow. Have a wonderful day!
God Bless,
sandJ
-Interesting to compare 9:7, which was God's will for the people, to increase upon the earth, and the people's will 11:4, let's build a tower so we're not scattered over the face of the whole earth - how often is my purpose the exact opposite of what God's purpose is?
ReplyDelete-also interesting to think that God used different languages to scatter and disorder their evil intentions, but also that the different languages and inadequate communication is what often inhibits our efforts for good today - it makes me think about how my sin could affect generations to come in ways I couldn't imagine
-Ok just went back and read your thoughts - awesome! I completely agree with your thoughts on Gen 9:6, what great insight. It reminds me of the song that's popular right now, "Give me your eyes" by Brandon Heath.
-Also on your "righteousness" comment, I had written in my Bible next to 6:9 that he was only righteous because of his relationship with God. I believe righteousness does mean sinless, but he is seen as righteous by God only because of his relationship with Him.