Today's reading started off with the great chapter 12... where we find the Biblical Basis for Missions (as explained through the Perspectives Course: http://www.perspectives.org/site/pp.aspx?c=eqLLI0OFKrF&b=2806295). The main idea is that Abram (and us) are blessed to be a blessing to others (Gen 12:1-3). I know that I struggle with this one as I like to forget and think that I am blessed either because of something I have done (like I created my wealth or something), or I think that I am blessed to make me happy... both are incorrect, as God is the supplier of everthing I have, and He gives it to me so I can share it (and His love) with others.
Now, the second half of Chapter 12 annoyed me (being honest here)... Abram gave up his wife to save his heiney... and then, he acted like it was for his wife's own good. Not cool! Anyway, it kind of made me laugh, because if God could keep Pharoh from killing Abram when he found out the truth about Sarai, then I am pretty sure God could have kept Abram safe without the lie. A good lesson for me to remember, as sometimes I think that I need to "help" God in order to accomplish His plan... duh to me: it is HIS plan, not mine... He doesn't need my help, especially when I sin to help Him.
Chapter 13 was about Lot and Abram separating and taking different parts of land. The study guide suggested that we should be careful about our decisions, as it can be a slippery slope... Lot didn't choose the land he did in order to end up a captive from SIN CITY (Sodom-See Chapter 14), but then we don't take the first drink to end up an alcoholic, or the first gamble to end up broke and beat up... etc...
Chapter 14 was mostly about Abram saving Lot's rear... however, an important point to note is that Abram was very cautious about who he was allied with... Abram accepted friendship from other men of God (Melchizedek-verse 18-20), but did not mince words with the king of Sodom. A friend of ours told me one time that we should surround ourselves with people we want to be like, because those we surround ourselves with is who we will become like.
Also, a couple other notes about Chapter 14 (which I got from a very smart theologian: King Melchizedek is priestly bloodline that Jesus is from (see Hebrews 7)... Jesus came from this line and not from the line of the Levites. Also, Chapter 14:20b is the establishment of tithing.
In Chapter 15, we find an answer to our question yesterday about "What is righteousness"... we discover that it is believing God (see Chapter 15:6, and also Romans 4:18-25 and Galatians 3:6-9). I find it interesting, and encouraging, too, that as I read through Chapter 15, Abram says he believes God, but then asks for reassurance... I know that sometimes I feel this way... I want to believe, and I try to believe, and on many levels I do believe in the things that I know God is promising... but then some doubt about the "hows" and "whens" and "whats" begin to creep in and I find myself asking God for reassurance. If reminds me of the man who says "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:14-32).
And last thought for today... in verse 11 of Chapter 15, Abram protects his offering to God... it made me think about if I protect my offering to God... do I set aside money first thing each paycheck to God and make sure that no matter what it is not touched... do I protect my time to assure that I have it to give to God when He directs me... do I protect my kids ears and eyes and hearts, as they are my life's offering to God... I could go on, but the overarching answer would have to in all honesty, "NO"... so, my challenge to myself, and to you if you feel you need challenged in this area, is to be more intentional in identifying what my offering to God is (my life,right?) and protecting it (living it in such a way as to keep it pure for Him).
Look forward to reading Genesis 16-19 with you tomorrow.
Much Love,
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
PS Tomorrow's reading has some hardcore stuff in it, so please preview it before sharing it with the kiddos. :) - sandJ
ReplyDeleteVal- I am learning so much from your posts! Thanks so much! I completely agree with you about my will so often being opposite of God's (in reference to your comments on the Tower of Babel, and not spreading out and multiplying)... thank goodness He has mastered the art of patience! :) I loved your insight about Cain and how God protects us even though we are sinners... thank you God! Thanks so much for your help with the questions, too, Val! For so long I have just taken what others have told me as truth, and never really taken the initiative to find out on my own when it comes to many aspects of the Bible, so it is so nice to be able to read the stories from the Bible on my own, and to follow up on your references and see the answers there, too... I am really enjoying learning like this, so thanks so much for doing this with us! I found it interesting that the giants were there before and after the flood... you are right, and I'm still kicking that around in my head, but I think it is really interesting. Thank-you for the snake references, too, because that is one of those things that I just always assumed was there in Genesis, and then when it wasn't spelled out that the snake was Satan, I was like, "What!?" :) So, thanks for the help! Have a super awesome night!
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
sandJ
I have read Chapter 12-15 three time over.
ReplyDeleteSandj