Friday, March 5, 2010

Joshua 15-16 today..... Joshua 17-18 tomorrow...

Read it.
Sandj

2 comments:

  1. I apologize for slacking yesterday... I did not read last night, as I came home late, and succumbed to the temptation of tiredness. So, here goes for last night... blog and all. :)

    Chapter 15... verse 6... interesting that a boundary marker with the tribe of Rueben's name on it would be used in the laying out of the boundaries for the tribe of Judah... I wonder if it gets used for Rueben's land, too?
    verse 8... so, Judah is by Jerusalem... is that significant? in New Testment/Jesus times?
    verse 13-14... we see in Numbers 13 that Anak and his decendents came from the Nephilim, who were huge giants and apparently very powerful.... Hebron was one of Anaks cities.
    verse 16... Caleb must have had a wonderful daughter, if men were willing to kill a whole kingdom for her.
    verse 17... weird that it was her uncle she ended up having to marry
    verse 18-19... Caleb must have loved his daughter a great deal and thought alot of her... she was not important enough to have her name recorded here, but she was important to her daddy... similarly, when we do not seem to be important enough for people to know our names in this life, we are still of great worth to our Heavenly Father... and God is happy to give us blessings and gifts because of His great love for us (Matthew 7:11)... it pleases Him when we are pleased because of Him.
    verse 47... interesting note that "wadi of Egypt" means 'brook of Egypt'... I wonder how a brook could be significantly known enough to be a land marker, but good to know what 'wadi' meant.
    verse 63... I wonder why God wanted the Jebusites to stay?... they were part of the Canaanites, decendents of Ham (Genesis 10)... they are mentioned as one of the main peoples that the Isrealites were supposed to destroy (in Deuteronomy 7 and 20, Joshua 3)... but I thought that they had been destroyed in the battle in Joshua 11?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Study Notes say that Othaniel (from verse 16-19) is also seen in Judges 3:7-11, where he saves the Isrealites, and is their judge... so Caleb's daughter married a good man.
    Also, a note about the Jebusites finally being defeated... they were finally conquered by David in 2 Samuel 5:6-12... so, God does uphold all the details of His promises... just in His own time, not ours... never think that just because it hasnt happened that that means that it wont happen... because if God says it will happen, then it will happen.

    Chapter 16: I am making a mental note here that I should look at a map of this Biblical era to get a visual of the land inheritance allotments that are being given... I am sure that that information would open my eyes to a bigger picture, at least on some level... so, I'm not doing it right now, but will do so in the future... any insight you currently have on this would be helpful, too.
    verse 10... interesting... in reading ahead, it seems that the reason they could not drive them out was possibly because of the tribe of Josheph's lack of faith in God's ability to work in their lives (chapter 17, verse 12-18)?... how often do we struggle with getting rid of 'problems' because we do not believe that God will help us get rid of them? or maybe because we do not ask for His help at all? or maybe because when He does give us help, we don't like it and don't follow it?... something to think about anyway.
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete