Read it... will comment tomorrow... also, we will only being doing one chapter each day for the next four days, since it will be the Men's Discipleship Walk this weekend... we don't want to lose momentum and discipline, but we do want to be realistic about the time that will be available...
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Deuteronomy was also considered to be written by Moses sometime after the Exodus, just like the other 4 books we've read so far. The theme of Deuteronomy (according to the "Invitation" part of the book, in the Serendipity Study Bible for Groups) is "God's Covenant and Moses' personal plea with Israel"...
ReplyDeleteHistorical Background: "The events in this book take place on the plains of Moab as the Isrealites are poised to enter the Promised Land. Moses oversees the important task of transferring his leadership to Joshua. He gives his final instructions to the people. The book ends with an account of his death."
Characteristics: "arranged around 3 sermons given by Moses (1:1-4:43; 4:44-26:19; 29:1-32:47), and perhaps modeled on Hittite suzerainty treaties [which apparently has to do with 'A nation that controls another nation in international affairs but allows it domestic sovereignty'], Deuteronomy introduces the reader to the great theological these of Judaism. Hence, we read of a God who acts in history for the redemption of His elect; we confront the Israelite concepts of sin, punishment and reward; and we are introduced to the essential creed of Judaism 'Here, O Isreal: the Lord our God, the Lord is one' (6:4). Behind these great themes, and binding them together, is the covenant between God and Isreal. It is the covenant which provides the driving force of the message of Deuteronomy, leaving no doubt as to the responsiblities, rewards, and punishments inherent in the covenant."
Some side notes from the "Study Notes" section... "Which was emphasized in your house - the rewards for correct behavior, or the punishment for wrong behavior? What does this reveal about parents? about yourself? about the culture in which you grew up?"... this made me think about what I focus on... I think that I tend to focus on punishment instead of reward... what does this say about me as a parent? I'm not sure... I see focusing on reward as a way of bribing, but maybe it's not... gonna have to think on this more...
Notes also refer to 2 Kings 22 for Josiah's reaction to finding this book because it had been missing for a while... interesting fact... I did not know that...Josiah was very convicted and repentant by reading this book... it makes me think about how each book in the Bible has a real purpose for being there and how God wants to bring us closer to Him by each word He has provided for us.
Final note from "invitation" section talks about 'group disciplines' and names them as: study, prayer, shared leadership, outreach, confidentiality, accountablity, etc'... I thought these were good to know.
Chapter 1: verse 4... see the details about the defeat of Sihon and Og in Numbers 21.
ReplyDeleteverse 5... 'expound'... good word... means to explain with great and careful detail... makes me think about how often do we 'expound' God's word to others?... do we just flippantly tell others about Jesus, or do we careful explain all the good news about Him, with great and careful detail so others know the truth and can be set free (John 8:31-36)
verse 7... cool to note that the country of Lebanon has such an ancient history of its name... I wonder why it's name remained unchanged, yet pretty much every other place (except Egypt, I think) had multiple name/identity changes?
verse 8... I like how God is like "see, I told you I'd do what I promised... just be patient and wait, and I'll faithfully supply all that I said I would"
verse 9... I like Moses's realness in his self reflection... I find it is interesting to think back on things that I told God there was no way I could (or even would) do that, and yet, with Him, I was able to accomplish that thing and so much more (Philippians 4:13)... what might I be saying is too heavy a burden for me today, or that I just can't do it... yet, what is God wanting to accomplish through me for His glory if I would just obey despite me fears/pride?
verse 10... see covenant promise of this in Genesis 22:17.
verse 11... interesting how Moses had been so overwhelmed at first, but now, with his new-found trust and faith in God, Moses has turned his complaining into a blessing... it just goes to show that when we focus on God, and what He can do (instead of focusing on us, and what we can't do), how that simple switch of focus makes a world of difference... I read once that attitude is like 99% of the battle or some saying like that... but it is true... our attitude (and focual point) makes a huge difference on whether we will succeed (at anything... including just getting out of bed in the morning and making it through the day, let alone succeed in the big stuff)
verse 12-13... we can't do it alone... we are not 'Superman' (or 'Superwoman')... even when we think we are, or try real hard to be... that is why God gave Adam, Eve (see Genesis 2:20-24)... that is why God tells us today to work together as a 'body' with other believers (1 Corinthians 12) and to encourage and build each other up (1 Thesselonians 5:11) and to support the work that we are each doing (Romans 10:14-15)... because sometimes we just need the help/fellowship of another 'flesh' to accept, and to succeed with the full help of the 'spirit'... taking the good news to the whole world is not possible for anyone to do alone (Matthew 28:19)... even Jesus had helpers while He was around, and those He taught to carry on after Him.... also, this is the reiteration of the Isrealites history, starting with Exodus 18, when Jethro visits and encourages Moses to get helpers
ReplyDeleteverse 17... "judgement belongs to God"... how often do we forget this simple truth?... our job is to be Christ's ambassadors... to be His hands and feet and to spread His word... not to condemn others... how can the sinful condemn those who are also sinful? are we then also, just condemning ourself on the same charges? what is the good in that?... we have no ability to pardon, so why do we think we have the right to judge? what benefit is a judge without the ability to punish as well as to pardon? aren't we better off, all of us, to let God be our sole judge, as He is just and fair, full of mercy and forgiveness, He sees all and knows all, not just the small part the is visible, but our heart, as well.... see also Matthew 7:1-5, John 8:7-11... and other passages in the New Testament for reiteration of this concept of not judging others
verse 21... God knew the challenge that was ahead of them, but He was warning them in advance to 'not be discouraged' and to 'not be afraid'... how often do we forget what a powerful God we have on our side when we choose to stay on His side?... we may be hardpressed on every side, but we are not defeated; we may be persecuted, but we are not abandoned; we may be perplexed, but we need not despair; we may be struck down (or have struck out), but we are not destroyed (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)... when God is for us, we need not fear any opposition or hard times we have because with God, all things are possible (Romans 8:31,35,37-39; Mark 10:27)
verse 22-23... why do we always want to see the future of what God will do instead of just trusting Him from the get-go and obediently walking with Him?... why do we have to 'spy out' and weigh the options first, so often?
verse 25-26... why do we turn what is good and a blessing into a curse and trouble sometimes? why can't we just let a blessing be simply that? why do we complain about things that God has under control?
verse 30... we sometimes forget that God is on our side... He will fight for us... we don't have to try to 'be God' and take on the 'giants' in our lives on our own
verse 31... I know I have seen the evidence of God carrying me, like a loving Father... more tham once... yet, that also makes me think that He could not carry me if there were not times of trouble, when I needed to be carried... I want to curse those times so often while I am in them, yet without them, I would not have such a deep faith in God's ability to 'carry' me the next time... each part of our journey with God is preparation for the next thing He has in store for us... if we 'skip' something (like we so often wish we could), we have to strongly consider the possibility that we may not be as prepared when we need to be (or when others need us to be) when other times come... also, the idea that God carried them the whole way, makes me think about how God is always with us... He's there for the good, the bad, and the oh so ugly... could think on that awhile
ReplyDeleteverse 32-33... how telltale is this in our own lives? despite all that God has done, we still do not trust Him... even when identical situations arise, we think that 'well, God may have bailed us out last time, but He surely can't now'? why?... also, if we know that God has already gone on ahead and prepared our way, why the 'spying' (from verse 22-23)?... is God not honest?... the answer of course is rhetorical, so why should we not trust His version of the lay of the land? He is control of it all, afterall, isnt' He?
verse 34... can't say I blame Him
verse 37... despite all Moses's positive qualities, he can't seem to take responsiblity here for his disobedience (see Numbers 20)... odd for a man so willing to stick up for the Israelites to really be carrying a heavy secret grudge against them... maybe that is why God punished Moses, too, since his heart was not in the right place... it makes me think about how we can appear to be one way on the outside, but how our hearts can be so stuck on a completely different spot... and how we can even fool ourselves into thinking that we don't have the problem or sin... kind of scary... I think that is why I like Psalm 139, especially verses 23-24: Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting... because even when I think I am fooling others... and even if I succeed in fooling myself... I can never fool God... if I want to have a heart fully devoted to God, I need to let Him get all the other stuff out, so He can have room and take over... unpacking can be a real heartache, but the alternative of not seeing 'the promised land' is way worse!
verse 41... still kills me that they thought the battle would be 'easy' without God, yet were terrified of the idea with God!... why do we so often think we can do it on our own better than if we just remain in/with God?... will we ever learn?!... I scoff at the hardheadedness of the Isrealites, but I must admit that I secretly and 'terrified' that I am exactly like them!
verse 43... I think it is interesting that Moses is speaking to this group as if they were the ones who did these things, yet it was their forefathers, who are all now dead...
verse 45... God was like, "don't cry to Me now! I told you not to do it and you did it anyway... I told you what would happen, and you didn't listen... don't come running to Me for sympathy when you didn't want to listen to what I had to say in the first place!"... reminds me of some similar kinds of conversations I've had with my kids: I told you not to jump on the couch, didn't I tell you, now look at the bump you got on your head
Chapter 2: Story starts up here after events of Numbers 14...
ReplyDeleteverse 3... I like God's directions... sometimes it is part of His plan for us to 'wander' or appear to be travelling in 'circles', yet othertimes, God gives us clear directions, like 'go north'... either way, He is working on getting us exactly where He wants us to be, in the exact time He wants us to be there... wandering does not mean we are without God's guidance... it is still part of His plan and our journey... I guess I have to remember not to complain about the times I feel like I'm 'wandering' and instead be thankful and seek out what God is wanting to teach me during those times
verse 7... sometimes it is good to look back over our lives and see all that God has done to protect us and provide for us, so we can remain focused on Him as our sole provision... 'you have not lacked anything'... so true!
verse 9... given the land of Ar to Lot (see Genesis 13?)... see also Deuteronomy 2:19
verse 10-12... there is MUCH commentary about the Rephaites... most of it is quite crazy to read, to say the least, and probably not even worth the time it takes to browse it... but from what I can gather, that doesn't appear to be way out there, the Rephaites (and the others in these verses) might be related to the Nephilims (in Genesis 6:4, and Numbers 13:33), but at the very least, they are giant-sized people, I think... anyway, they appear to be defeated back in Genesis 14, when, at the same time, Lot is captured and Abraham has to go rescue him... I'm kind of confused though, because it says that the descendents of Esau drove them out, yet Esau came after Abraham (see Genesis 25)... I must say that keeping all these people groups separated and in line is really confusing and I think that I have already given up on it... any good commentaries or lineage things that you know of that would help clarify some of this?... some geneology of Esau and Seir is found in
Genesis 36... see also Deuteronomy 2:20-23
ReplyDeleteverse 14... fulfillment of Numbers 14:29-35
verse 15... I know for sure that I do not want the Lord's hand to be against me!
verse 24... 'see I have given into your hand'... we must remember ALL our victories come from God
verse 30... sometimes the difficult people we encounter in our lives are put there by God to fulfill a higher purpose... again, we must thank God in these difficult circumstances, as they are ordained by God for good... thankfulness in the face of trouble... a good lesson to really work on... as much work is needed to even remember this concept sometimes, I think... but the more we put it into practice, and the more we 'write these words on our hearts' the more we can see God give us victory in this area of our lives, as well
veres 31... "I have done", "now you must do"... obedience and follow through are an integral part of our relationship with God... however, we must remeber that the "I have done" [God speaking] must come first... we can also take comfort in knowing that this formula has come to pass in our salvation (see Romans 5), so since Jesus has done (died for our sins and rose again to conquer death), we can now do (accept God's gift of salvation)... it wouldn't have worked the other way around... even the Isrealites had to wait for God to do [give instructions for sacrifice] before they could do [offer sacrifices for forgiveness]... who are we to think we can read God's mind and reverse this concept?
verse 36... key concept... they are finally getting what they did not grasp back in Numbers 13-14... "not one town was too strong for us. The Lord our God gave us all of them."... nothing can overtake us when we remain in/with God... the thought of 'when at first you don't succeed, try, try again' comes to mind when I think about how the Israelites didn't get it, so God gave them lots of practice at learning to 'get it'... so that they could finally really 'get it' (the promised land, as God promised and desired to give them)... same in our lives... God stand ready and poised to give us the blessings He has for us, but sometimes we just aren't ready to accept them yet
Chapter 3: This chapter starts with the history of events formerly discussed beginning in Numbers 21
ReplyDeleteverse 2... sometimes I wonder why God asks the people (and us) to do things that He could do Himself (remember Numbers 16:32 when God wiped out people by having the ground swallow them up, or like the plagues in Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers)... it seems to me that it is a kindness of God to allow us to be apart of His work, since it is obvious He does not need us to accomplish it... it is sort of like how we could do the dishes ourselves (and probably better and faster), but we instead let our kids do them or at least help out, so they can learn how, and so we can build a relationship together... I think God just wants to build our relationship with Him and that is why He lets us join Him in His work/plan... it is a privilege to work for Him and serve Him
verse 11... why leave Og as a remnant of the Rephaites? was God preserving a line that He had promise to keep going? (like He did when He did not completely wipe out mankind in the flood?-Genesis 6-9; or when he wanted to wipe out the Isrealites, but was going to keep Moses to fulfill His promise to Abraham-can't remember where this was)... also, wow... that is a big bed/sarcophagus!... must have been a big guy!... you know, this makes me think about how I would likely tremble like the Isrealites did before the Promised Land (in Numbers 13-15)... I can talk 'big', but I have to admit that I have crumbled/melted/fainted when faced with things MUCH smaller that this... yet, if God can defeat a whole land of crazy big foes, then He can certainly gain victory over the piddly stuff I face on a day to day basis, and even over the occassional so-called 'big stuff' in my life
verse 12-20... see Numbers 32
verse 21... Moses is doing a good job of encouraging Joshua as he was supposed to do... it is a simple concept, if we will just believe... if God did it before, He can do it again, and if God says He will, then He will... He's never given us any reason to doubt/think/assume otherwise
verse 22... I like this verse... it is one that I use on myself at times that I just feel useless and unsure of how to proceed, knowing I can't do it, but know that action is needed on some part
verse 24... very true... what other 'god' [little 'g'] can even come close to doing what our Creator God can do!... most of those other 'gods' just sit around all day, doing nothing at all... of course our God is much more worthy of praise than they are... why do we ever doubt that... I know my cell phone, my TV, my house, my money, my time, etc, and all the other things that can become my 'gods' have never ever even come close to splitting the Red Sea, guiding me by a visible pillar of fire, swallowing up my enemies with the ground, or made my donkey talk to save me life (I don't have a donkey, so to clarify, I mean these all as analogies, of course, when talking about my life)
verse 23-26... whining will get us no where!... I wish I could be as truly consistant in my discipline as God is... maybe if I thought more before I spoke the consequence I would feel more certain about upholding the punishment... something I need to think and work on
verse 27... yet God is merciful... He can't go back on His word, but He can help us find a way out (within reason, that does not contradict His previous decisions)... that is the same thing He did by providing Jesus as a sacrifice for us... the wages of sin is death and that could not be changed (Romans 6:23)... but, God allowed the death of a perfect sacrifice to covered our debt from sin, once and for all (Hebrews 7:27)... not changing His requirement, but still providing for our needs through His mercy
Much Love,
sandJ