Chapter 6: verse 4... important verse... God is one God... all 3 parts: Spirit, Son, Father... all 3 parts are just 1 God verse 5... greatest commandment (see Mark 12:29-30) verse 6... God's laws are to be on our heart... we are to love them... we are to love to obey them... we are to have them be so much apart of us that to separate them from us would be as detrimental to our life as removing our heart would be... we can't hope to live without them... yes, we try to install 'life support', but the fact of the matter is, we are not fully alive without our heart being tied to God's Word verse 7... we must teach our children to love God... we need to talk to them about it (hows, whys, whats, etc) at every opportunity...Also, we need to make talking about God so natural that we just do it all the time... not only when it is "culturally or religiously appropriate" to do so... we need to stop being to fearful of offending people, and starting being more consciece of whether we are offending God... we need to stop worrying about what people will think when we talk to them about God, and start worrying about what will become of them eternally if we do NOT tell them about God... which is more important to us? our pride? our comfort? or their eternal torture in Hell? verse 8... when I think about symbols tied to my hands, I think about how I would not be able to keep from making noise... when I think about this in relation to my 'tying' God's commands to my hands, it makes me think how all that I do should obviously and 'loudly' point to God... the work I do with my hands should make such loud 'symbol banging' that people can't help but notice God.... do the things I do obviously point to God? if not, what do they point to? the world? me? or worse? verse 9... make God's words be such an integral part of our family and our lifestyle that we are upon all who enter our home and life... also, just as a doorframe has stability and can be seen as a portal to shelter/refuge/security, so should God's words be for us and for all those we share Him with (see Psalm 18:2)... we should not use God's word as a way of knocking people down or filling them with guilt, instead we should demonstrate to them the 'shelter' God is in our lives and express His love and comfort to them, as well verse 10-12... isn't it so true in our lives today, too?... all we have has been given to us... we have blessings that we did nothing to earn... yet, we forget that they are from God... we forget to praise Him when we are 'full' and 'satisfied'... how long shall we act as if we are our providers... we must remember that we can do nothing aside from that which God allows and grants. verse 14... we are to not be of the world... why do we try to be like the world and fit into their ways?... we are not to follow or worship the gods of the people around us... yet, we so often do on so many levels... God help us! verse 18... you have another chance guys... don't mess it up this time like your forefathers did!... sometimes I feel this way in my life, as I try to correct things in the way I do things that I did not like when I saw them in my parents or grandparents... I hope that our children will continue to improve on areas of their lives, too, as we are far from perfect ourselves verse 20-25... we must always be ready to share with anyone who asks the reason for our hope (1 Peter 3:15)
The IDEA: Romans 1:12-That we may be mutually strengthened, encouraged, and comforted by each others faith. Have you ever read the whole Bible before? We have never done it. We want to share God’s Word, but how can we if we do not know it.
The PLAN: Ecclesiastes 4:12-One person is easily overcome, but two can stand together and conquer. Three is even better, though, as a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. With each others help we can succeed-So, let us team up and read the Bible in a year.
The DATE: We will start Dec 26, 2009 - Dec 26, 2010.
The FYI: We will read 3-4 chapters each day, starting in Genesis, and post thoughts daily. If you do not have a Bible, you can access many translations at www.biblegateway.com. You can also download an audio for each chapter at: http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm
Read it.
ReplyDeleteSandj
Chapter 6: verse 4... important verse... God is one God... all 3 parts: Spirit, Son, Father... all 3 parts are just 1 God
ReplyDeleteverse 5... greatest commandment (see Mark 12:29-30)
verse 6... God's laws are to be on our heart... we are to love them... we are to love to obey them... we are to have them be so much apart of us that to separate them from us would be as detrimental to our life as removing our heart would be... we can't hope to live without them... yes, we try to install 'life support', but the fact of the matter is, we are not fully alive without our heart being tied to God's Word
verse 7... we must teach our children to love God... we need to talk to them about it (hows, whys, whats, etc) at every opportunity...Also, we need to make talking about God so natural that we just do it all the time... not only when it is "culturally or religiously appropriate" to do so... we need to stop being to fearful of offending people, and starting being more consciece of whether we are offending God... we need to stop worrying about what people will think when we talk to them about God, and start worrying about what will become of them eternally if we do NOT tell them about God... which is more important to us? our pride? our comfort? or their eternal torture in Hell?
verse 8... when I think about symbols tied to my hands, I think about how I would not be able to keep from making noise... when I think about this in relation to my 'tying' God's commands to my hands, it makes me think how all that I do should obviously and 'loudly' point to God... the work I do with my hands should make such loud 'symbol banging' that people can't help but notice God.... do the things I do obviously point to God? if not, what do they point to? the world? me? or worse?
verse 9... make God's words be such an integral part of our family and our lifestyle that we are upon all who enter our home and life... also, just as a doorframe has stability and can be seen as a portal to shelter/refuge/security, so should God's words be for us and for all those we share Him with (see Psalm 18:2)... we should not use God's word as a way of knocking people down or filling them with guilt, instead we should demonstrate to them the 'shelter' God is in our lives and express His love and comfort to them, as well
verse 10-12... isn't it so true in our lives today, too?... all we have has been given to us... we have blessings that we did nothing to earn... yet, we forget that they are from God... we forget to praise Him when we are 'full' and 'satisfied'... how long shall we act as if we are our providers... we must remember that we can do nothing aside from that which God allows and grants.
verse 14... we are to not be of the world... why do we try to be like the world and fit into their ways?... we are not to follow or worship the gods of the people around us... yet, we so often do on so many levels... God help us!
verse 18... you have another chance guys... don't mess it up this time like your forefathers did!... sometimes I feel this way in my life, as I try to correct things in the way I do things that I did not like when I saw them in my parents or grandparents... I hope that our children will continue to improve on areas of their lives, too, as we are far from perfect ourselves
verse 20-25... we must always be ready to share with anyone who asks the reason for our hope (1 Peter 3:15)