Chapter 9: this would be the people's first celebration of Passover since they left Egypt (see Exodus 12)
verse 11... the unclean people and those traveling have to wait one month (see also verse 3) before they can celebrate the Passover... cool that God is merciful to circumstances beyond their control and does not punish people for trying to obey rules that they cannot fulfill... it's a catch 22 that would end up in them breaking a rule either way... instead, God is compassionate to His people by not saying something like "be quiet and tell me about your day" or "sit down and sit up" :)... He provides us with every opportunity to worship Him when we truly want to do so
verse 12... foreshadow of Jesus's bones not being broken when He died on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins (see John 19:36, Exodus 12:46, and Psalm 34:20)
verse 14...remember the rules and regulations? (see Exodus 12:48)
verse 15-23... ok, so I think this part is saying that when the cloud stayed, the people stayed and when the cloud left the people left? :)
Chapter 10: verse 9... "When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets. Then you will be remembered by the LORD your God and rescued from your enemies."... is that why they used the trumpets to destroy the city of Jericho? (see Joshua 5:13-end of chapter 6)... also reminds me of the horn blowing at the battle with Azlan and the White Witch in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
verse 21... "the tabernacle was to be set up before they arrived"... always prepare yourself for the presence of God in your life... honor His presence and do not take it for granted by being lazy about your living sacrifice to Him
verse 29... did Moses get married again? because I thought Jethro was his father-in-law (see Exodus 18:1)...what happened to Moses's first wife? did she die or did he now have two wives?
verse 31-32... don't they follow God's leading (see Numbers 9:15-23)? why did they need Hobab? was Moses just using coaxing techniques or did Hobab really have something they needed? and if so, why?
verse 35... see Psalm 68:1, too
Chapter 11: verse 1-3... I know that no one has control of God, but it seems like Moses at least has a lot of clout with God... why was Moses's intercession so important? why didn't the people's crying out save them? was it because they did not have a right relationship with God? are there times when do not get saved from my problems because I have a complaining heart and my relationship is not right with God? (see James 5:16... if the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective, is the reverse also true?)
"Quail From the Lord" section... see also Exodus 16 for first manna/quail story
verse 10... think makes me think of little kids crying at the edge of their playpens, or young ones in time out in their rooms calling out from the threshholds of their room's doorway.... I can see why it made God angry... if nothing else, it is really annoying! On top of that, they are being very disrespectful and ungrateful.
verse 11-13... 'I am done and I quit! It's too hard, and not what I signed up for! If you really loved me, why would you put me through all this?!'... hmmm, is this Moses speaking here or me?
verse 14-15... Why are we so weak to think we are alone in this? Yet, why do we then still ask for God's help?
verse 17... when we can't bear to have just the "spiritual" help anymore, God is compassionate and give us "human" help to renew of faith (see 1 Corinthians 10:12-13... which by the way is taken from an example of the Israelites failures in the dessert like we are reading about here... it's cool to see all the missing pieces of things falling into place as we read the Old Testament... the added clarity and meaning it brings to some of my already favorite passages is so cool!)
verse 19-20... 'Fine! You want to complain?! You want meat?! I'll give you meat?!... so much that it will "come out of your nostrils"'... do we really want God to give us everything we complain about?
verse 21-22... 'Are you crazy?! There's no meat here [if there was do you think the people would be complaining like they are!?] [I know you're the same God who supply us with food every day, and water, and divided the Red Sea, and protects us from our enemies, and saved us from the awful slavery we asked you to save us from, through many awesome miracles, and made the world and everything is it,... BUT] how are YOU going to help us NOW? how are YOU going to feed ALL these people?'... How often do we forget who God is and put Him in a box created by our own insecurities, weaknesses, and shortcomings?
verse 23... 'HELLO! I am GOD! Do you still really doubt Me?! I mean come on, really?!... I guess I'll just have to show YOU'
verse 25... "they prophesied"... interesting
verse 26... why didn't they go? why did they still get the Spirit if they disobeyed? why didn't they get punished?
verse 27... if I've learned nothing else up to this point, I know I've learned that God's word and instruction have meaning, so why do we still not fully obey it everytime, and why do we cause scences that do not glorify God or assist in His purpose?
verse 29... wow! Moses's wish was finally fulfilled when Jesus gave the Spirit to all believers after He ascended back into Heaven (see Acts 1:8, and Acts 2)
verse 31... that is ALOT of quail!!! can you even imagine?!
verse 33... why? because they were happy about what they had gottne from whining? did they feel justified in their whining instead of thankful to God?... maybe sometimes it is better if we don't get what we ask for
Chapter 12: verse 1... why was it a problem (or even gossip worthy) that Moses had married a Cushite woman? Why did he marry outside of his people?
verse 3... ok I know it is not right, but I had to smile at this verse since it was Moses who is supposed to have written these books. :)
verse 4... "at once"... I like how God stands up for His people immediately... He's got our back the instant we need Him... that is comforting :)
verse 8... cool that Moses had the sole priveledge to speak to God face to face and enjoy complete clarity of God's will and vision
verse 9... God can get angry, but He also has good self-control
verse 10... why didn't Aaron get punished, too?
verse 13... Great forgiveness and mercy from Moses!!!
verse 14... see also verse 10... God has powerful spit :)
Study Notes ask, based on this encounter between God and Miriam and Aaron, what is God saying about the kind of person He wants to lead His people? definately not a gossiper, complainer, destroyer, or self-focused person
Ok, I'm going to bed early tonight... have a wonderful evening!
God Bless,
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment