Read it.
Sandj
Chapter 15: verse 1... like Saul didn't know who Samuel was?
verse 6... kindness pays, huh... I wonder what the Amalekites thought when the Kenites packed up and took off? I would be wondering what was going on
verse 7-9, and 2-3... not what God told them to do
verse 10-13... was Saul really that dumb or just so blinded by his own desires that he was oblivious to his sin?... an important lesson to learn from as we take a good, long, hard look at ourselves
verse 14... Samuel cracks me up! :)
verse 15... blaming the soldiers, and then acting like it was all for God... yet, God didn't ask for the sheep or whatever... reminds me of when my kids bring me a cookie and say it is for me, but when I say I don't want it, they ask if they can have it... now, you be the judge, was the cookie ever for me?... if Saul really thought the sheep sacrificing was a good idea, wouldn't he have proudly expressed his part in the whole thing instead of blaming it on the soldiers?
verse 16... ok, cracking up again... this is so like many conversations in our house... the kids start to go into detail about why they decided to disobey, and I yell out "Just stop", because I don't want to hear anymore of their justifications... the fact of the matter is they disobeyed and they know it, why waste time letting them dig themselves in deeper with lies and falsehoods... then, it floors me how Saul is like, 'oh, God spoke to you, I want to hear it, cause maybe He has more blessings to give me', in all excited anticipation, when that is not at all what he's about to hear.
verse 17-19... you were nothing before God made you into something, so why did you just spit in the face of the one who made you into what you are now?
verse 20-23... wow... I do feel bad for Saul if he really is not getting it... makes me wonder how often I am that hard-headed.
veres 24-29... God knows the heart... is Saul truly repentant, or just trying to smooth things over so he doesn't lose his right to rule?... do we ever say sorry to God just so we can get it over with and move back onto the 'fun' stuff we really want to do?... can we fool God?... that is a rhetorical question by the way
verse 30-31... does Samuel go back and worship with Saul because Samuel knows it is not his place to judge Saul? Samuel seems to get that he is God's messanger, but not God himself... what a contrast there is between Samuel and Saul
verse 32-34... wow... hard to be a priest... poor Samuel had to finish the job that was supposed to be for Saul, but because Saul didn't obey and follow through with all God's commands, Samuel had to do it... when we don't do all God wants us to, we shouldn't think that it has been forgotten... God will still accomplish all He had planned to do, but we will just not be allowed to be apart of it... and we will be bringing added work onto someone else who was not as equipped or well-suited for the job, possibly... however, if we ever end up in the "clean-up" position, we should remember that it is by God's power that we can accomplish anything, so He will give us what we need to get through this "mess", too.
verse 35... sad... this is a really good verse to explain the difference between forgiving and trusting... we need to always forgive those who hurt us, because God has forgiven us... we should forgive even when the other person is not aware of what they have done, and even if the other person does not forgive us... forgiveness is our act of love and obedience toward God... however, forgiveness and trust are not the same thing... where forgiveness is not earned, trust is earned... trust can only be given to someone who has repented of their ways and shown that they are remorseful and have worked to restore the relationship and have turned from their previous evil ways... this is very important... this concept is why a woman who has been beaten by her husband should not return to him unless he has truly changed... it is why a child molester should not be allowed to be around children without extreme therapy (and maybe even never)... it is not unbiblical to keep yourself or your child safe from an untrustworthy person... it is however, unbiblical to keep from granting them forgiveness... we should pray for our enemies and those who hurt us... we should love them, as Christ loves us... but we do not have to trust them or hang out with them unless they prove that they are willing to do what it takes to properly restore the relationship, and keep it intact.... this verse also makes me think about what it means for God to grieve His choice in picking Saul... I wonder if I ever grieve God... even as I write this, I know that I have... and so, why did He choose me even though He knew I would disappoint Him... that is love to know that someone will hurt you, but give them the blessing of being apart of your life anyway.
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Read it.... catching up more blogging tomorrow night... I am through Ruth at this point and will start on 1 Samuel blogging tomorrow evening.
ReplyDeletesandJ