Friday, April 9, 2010

1 Samuel 22 today....... 1_Samuel 23 tomorrow...

Read it.
Sandj


Chapter 22: verse 1... just find it interesting that so many people find out about David's hiding spots... he is not very good at being covert
verse 2... interesting... David was kind of a "Robin Hood" of sorts?
verse 3-4... the study notes suggest looking at Ruth 1:1-5 and Ruth 4:17 to find reasons as to why David would have entrusted his family to the Moabite king... from what I can see, it would be because they were 'part of the family', so it would be natural for them to protect 'their own'
verse 5... apparently, though, David's family did not stay with the king for long?
verse 6-8... is Saul mixing guilt for past 'mistakes' with a promise of success and blessing for those who support him now? probably a pretty powerful combination to gain allegiances, but also probably not a real lasting allegiance, since the guilt will wear off and when the gifts stop coming, so will the loyalty, I think... just my guess
verse 9-10... apparently Saul's tactic does work, at least somewhat
verse 11-16... poor Ahimelech! He has no idea what is going on and is totally innocent, I think, since he was acting out of confidence in David's trustworthiness... the study notes ask "If David had told Ahimelech the truth (see 21:2-4), do you think Saul might have not killed him?"... to this, I would say that Ahimelech would have at least had a choice in the matter and not been 'tricked' into helping... then, he might have at least known to hide for safety, or been aware of his imminent death and been at peace as to the 'why' of it all... as it is now, though, David has robbed Ahimelech of his joy in serving God because David did not give Ahimelech the option of serving him voluntarily and under truthful pretenses... I wonder how often I think I am 'saving' someone, only to find out that my 'sheltering' has done them more harm than good... I guess that might fall under the topic of parents enabling their children or friends enabling the addictions of those they hang out with, or whatever?... it also makes me think about how I would likely justify my behavior by saying I am doing it for the good of the other person... yet, it is pretty clear here, that the real reason behind the 'lie' is selfishness on the part of David... the person trying to 'save' the other, is actually acting out of selfishness or personal fear, instead of out of love... not really a good thing, when seen in that light. The study notes go on to further ask "Is David in fact guilty for these deaths?" (verse 22)... that is a hard one, but I think I would have to say 'yes', at least to some degree... David did not make Saul kill them, but he also did not prepare Ahimelech for the confrontation, nor did he set him up to be in a good spot when the inevitable course of life happened... just like a parent is not fully responsible for the 'bad' choices of their child, they still are somewhat to blame if they did not try to teach their children how to behave morally or 'rightly', if they did not 'prepare' their children for the 'inevitable course of life', like being face to face with temptation, and knowing how to say 'no', etc.... hard thing to face and say, but still I think it is true.
verse 17... interesting how Saul knows enough and fears enough not to do this himself, but still, he chooses to have it done, so I think that is just as bad
verse 18-19... wow! what a bad, Godless man!... if I were Saul, I would be wary of having that man on my side... if he is bold enough to go against God, then what makes Saul think he is safe from this opportunist?... another note, as brought up by the study notes: this act, as heinous as it was, was apparently a fulfillment of the prophecy in 1 Samuel 2:30-33... sometimes we just have to sit back and accept that God knows what is best
verse 20-23... would Abiathar really want to stay with the man who is self-professed the cause of all the family's deaths?... also, I find verse 23 interesting/amusing in that David tries to comfort him by saying that since Saul is after his life, too, Abiathar should stay with him for safety... I guess David does have an army and all, but still, I don't think I would look for safety in the company of a hunted man who just caused my family to be massacred... but what do I know, I suppose... a PS on this story: the study notes mention that David 'prays' for Doeg in Psalm 52... although, I would add to this by clarifying that the 'prayer' is not really of the edifying kind like we might initially associate with the word.
sandJ

No comments:

Post a Comment