Chapter 27: verse 1-3... I wonder why David doubted, since God has obviously shown His protection over and over again? I have to admit that I struggle with this, too, though... I find myself worrying about things that God has been overtly faithful about many times in the past... why do we fall back on our human ways so easily! poor God... we must frustrate Him to no end!... another thing, you know that David's stress and worry must be bad, if he is considering going to the land of his enemies for protection... why do we assume that the things in life can protect us better than God? why do we return to our 'enemies' when we let ourselves become overrun with negative emotions? like alcohol, or shopping, or sex, or TV, or anything that is part of the world, and not God? why don't we run to God instead... to His word, or to prayer, or to other Christians, or whatever? verse 4... I guess the plan worked, at least on some level for the moment verse 5-7... how could David have found favor in the kings eyes when the last time they had met David had acted crazy? like Achish would even want him in his palace!?... maybe this was more a threat than a request :) (see Chapter 21:10-15) verse 8-12... so David attacked the Isrealite enemies and killed everyone to cover up what he was doing... and all the time he was lying the the Philestine king to make himself look good... which worked, as Achish was sure that David had burned all the bridges he had had with his people... didn't anyone notice that the Isrealites were still in tact?... why would Achish belive David after his last rouse?... probably why David had asked to live far away from the palace so noone would know his true actions/intentions... just making sure I've got it all straight... wow study notes refer to Chapter 15:2-3 (as well as to Joshua 13)... apparently David was just finishing the jobs that God had given to Saul, but that Saul had put off because of his obsession with killing David... still, I have a hard time being ok with the lying... does doing God's work justify the lying? I don't think so... I think that if David had sought God's will before he moved into the Philestine territory, he could have still accomplished these tasks without the perceived need to lie... just shows how one sin can lead to others, and how we can find ourselves in a whole heap of stuff just because we decided to take the 'self' road.... I think that the 'self' road is best avoided and not even worth taking a few steps onto it just to try it out... speaking from personal experience here. :) sandJ
The IDEA: Romans 1:12-That we may be mutually strengthened, encouraged, and comforted by each others faith. Have you ever read the whole Bible before? We have never done it. We want to share God’s Word, but how can we if we do not know it.
The PLAN: Ecclesiastes 4:12-One person is easily overcome, but two can stand together and conquer. Three is even better, though, as a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. With each others help we can succeed-So, let us team up and read the Bible in a year.
The DATE: We will start Dec 26, 2009 - Dec 26, 2010.
The FYI: We will read 3-4 chapters each day, starting in Genesis, and post thoughts daily. If you do not have a Bible, you can access many translations at www.biblegateway.com. You can also download an audio for each chapter at: http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm
Read it. Will comment soon.
ReplyDeletesandJ
Chapter 27: verse 1-3... I wonder why David doubted, since God has obviously shown His protection over and over again? I have to admit that I struggle with this, too, though... I find myself worrying about things that God has been overtly faithful about many times in the past... why do we fall back on our human ways so easily! poor God... we must frustrate Him to no end!... another thing, you know that David's stress and worry must be bad, if he is considering going to the land of his enemies for protection... why do we assume that the things in life can protect us better than God? why do we return to our 'enemies' when we let ourselves become overrun with negative emotions? like alcohol, or shopping, or sex, or TV, or anything that is part of the world, and not God? why don't we run to God instead... to His word, or to prayer, or to other Christians, or whatever?
ReplyDeleteverse 4... I guess the plan worked, at least on some level for the moment
verse 5-7... how could David have found favor in the kings eyes when the last time they had met David had acted crazy? like Achish would even want him in his palace!?... maybe this was more a threat than a request :) (see Chapter 21:10-15)
verse 8-12... so David attacked the Isrealite enemies and killed everyone to cover up what he was doing... and all the time he was lying the the Philestine king to make himself look good... which worked, as Achish was sure that David had burned all the bridges he had had with his people... didn't anyone notice that the Isrealites were still in tact?... why would Achish belive David after his last rouse?... probably why David had asked to live far away from the palace so noone would know his true actions/intentions... just making sure I've got it all straight... wow
study notes refer to Chapter 15:2-3 (as well as to Joshua 13)... apparently David was just finishing the jobs that God had given to Saul, but that Saul had put off because of his obsession with killing David... still, I have a hard time being ok with the lying... does doing God's work justify the lying? I don't think so... I think that if David had sought God's will before he moved into the Philestine territory, he could have still accomplished these tasks without the perceived need to lie... just shows how one sin can lead to others, and how we can find ourselves in a whole heap of stuff just because we decided to take the 'self' road.... I think that the 'self' road is best avoided and not even worth taking a few steps onto it just to try it out... speaking from personal experience here. :)
sandJ