Tuesday, April 13, 2010

1 Samuel 26 today....... 1_Samuel 27 tomorrow...

Read it.
Sandj

2 comments:

  1. Read it. Will comment soon.
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 26: verse 1-5... yet another chase ensues
    verse 6-7... wonder why David took someone with him? to have proof that he had gone to see Saul?
    verse 8-11... or maybe David took Abishai to help teach him a lesson about reverence and waiting on God's timing? for, even despite the whole on going pursuit, David still holds to the fact that God has annointed Saul, so only God has the right to take him down.
    verse 12... obviously God is with David... I wonder, if David has chosen to kill Saul, if God would have lifted the 'sleep' and allowed David to fend for himself, since he would have then chosen to act outside of God's will... how often do we refuse God's protection and then complain in the 'battles' when He grants our request to go it alone?
    vesre 13... probably smart... don't want to torment an army that is close enough to whip you on the spot... at least not without God's prompting
    verse 14-16... is David trying to knock Abner down to size or something? or is he just trying to incite some irritation? or maybe, once again prove his protection from God, innocence in regards to Saul, and restraint in revenge?
    verse 17... I find the respect so ironic
    verse 18-20... I find it interesting how David does not note the wrongs that Saul has done against him, so much as the way Sauls actions have caused David to be tempted to wrong God, and thus how Saul has then wronged God... we tend to take things so personally most of the time, yet David is recognizing that all sin is against God, and that is more grevious than anything people can do against us.
    verse 21... will Saul hold up his end of the deal this time?... how human is this? don't we so often desire to do right, yet, when one of our weaknesses are tempted again, we so often cave in instead of relying on God to guide us through to a better, more self-controlled decision.
    verse 22-24... I think David is telling Saul that he does not trust him, but he does trust God... that is a powerful statement of faith... and one we should try to emmulate in our own lives... sometimes I think that I can't trust God because people mess up... yet, David is saying it is the opposite... even when I can't trust people, I can still trust God... if we truly believe God is sovereign, then we should not worry about the whims of people... it reminds me of a story told by a good friend of ours after his trip to China: there was a young woman who told him that she was a Christian (a criminal offense in China); our friend asked her is she was ever afraid to share her faith because of the very real threat of jail; the woman replied that she did not fear going to jail, because she knew God was in control and trusted Him whole-heartedly; she said that if God allowed her to go to jail it was because He had something for her to do for Him there... what an amazing statement of faith! So often I find myself complaining about my circumstances... however, if I look at it from the perspective of David or the Chinese woman, my complaints are really just a lack of faith in God's love and sovereignty... when I look at it that way, I find that I am very ashamed of my lack of faith, and I want to find ways to, instead, praise God for His desire to work through me, and look for His will in my life right where I am, instead of bemoan my life and ask Him to get me to a 'better' spot.
    verse 25... I wonder if Saul really gets that David does great things because of God, or if he thinks that God does great things because of David?... I know Saul is saying David will triumph here, but does he really believe it? does he really believe that God is with David? if so, I wonder what Saul must be going through knowing that he has no chance to ever win, yet he has this uncontrollable urge to try all the time... it seems to me that this would be hell... to know the right thing to do, but to be eternally separated from God's power to overcome your sinful desires, and to have to live with the guilt and consequences over and over and over again
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete