Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Exodus 12-14 today... Exodus 15-17 tomorrow...

Chapter 12: Just wondered what month this is... I know it says later in Exodus 13:4 that it is Abib, but what is Abib? Is it January? Just curious.
I like how God makes His requirements practical... He does require the best, but not the extreme, He just wants the best of what they already have (not something new they have to get, or become... isn't the opposite what we sometimes think though? That God wants us only if we become something else or someone else?)... anyway, I also like the practicality and realistic nature of God... He tells them not to waste anything and to eat what they use... He also takes into account that their may be small families who need to share with others... God is so understanding and all encompassing in His care for us... His details are so specific, so that the Israelites don't have to worry about making any mistakes... That makes me think about what God really wants from me: in my life; as an offering; as a sacrifice; in obedience; etc.
verse 11: God tells them to basically be ready to go because they are leaving... but I still don't think they really get it... it reminds me of Jesus and the disciples in the New Testament, where He tells them He is God like a bizillion different times and ways, and even though they kind of get it briefly sometimes, even right after His death, they are still unsure... I have to say that my life is characterized by this too... until I see it, alot of times I just don't really get it enough to understand and believe.
I have wondered how God could easily separate the Egyptians and Israelites all the other times, and even in amazing ways, but this time, He "couldn't" without the sign of blood on the doorposts? I got thinking though, that it wasn't because it was "too dark" for God to see or something, so maybe He wanted the Israelites to do this act of service because God had shown His power, shown His love/protection/allegiance/etc, and now He wants to see theirs through obedience and trust... Kind of like God did with Abraham and Isaac (see Genesis 22).
The study notes asked why blood was a good choice as a protecion against death, and I was thinking that is was like blood=life (maybe), like the term "lifeblood" or something?
I have to say that I thought it was kind of harsh that God would say that anyone who ate yeast during the celebration would be cut off from the community of Israel... like forever I think... but I guess if God could do so much for them, then the least they could do was to abstain from yeast for one week a month (verse 19)... I am thinking about how much I whine about the minor things God asks me to give up, like time, tithing, harsh words, etc, and yet I think about ALL He has done for me and what all He gave up for me... His only Son (John 3:16).
verse 26 made me think about how I need to have a better understanding of the holidays we celebrate as Christians, so that when our children ask, "Why do we put up a Christmas tree", or "Why are candy canes red and white", or whatever, I can tell them... it also makes me want to know because if there are things we do at Christmas or Easter that do not point to Jesus, do I really still want to do them? What would be the point? And does doing them detract from the message I really want to convey? I think that I need to think those things out a little more and not just follow the lead of our cultural norms.
verse 38... any ideas on who the "others" that went with them were, or why they went along?
verse 39... sometimes we do not know the why, but God always does... its cool when we see the dots connected... Cool how God gives them the celebration details/instructions in advance to eat "unleavened" bread (verse 17...) and then, they see the why when they have to hurry out... I love the meaning behind the celebration details!
verse 41 made me remember that it is all in God's timing... "to that very day"... God's perfect timing.
verse 51... fulfillment of God's fortelling in Exodus 6:26
The study notes also compare the Passover with the Lord's Supper (aka Communion) that we partake in today (see also "Lord's Supper" in New Testament, like in Matt 26:17 and on).

Chapter 13: Does anyone know that actual meaning of "consecrate"(verse 2) and "redeem" (verse 13) your first born males... does it mean make a sacrifice for them? put them through a rememberance story telling ritual? or ??? I assume it does not mean to kill them. I get that this is like a way for the Israelites to once again remember that God brought them out of Egypt with the plague that took the firstborn of all the Egyptian households, and so to show honor they are to consecrate their firstborn to God, but I was surprised that with all the other details given for other things, this did not appear very clear (or maybe it is and I just don't see it)...
verse 9... I think it is interesting that God does not COMMAND us, as His "chosen" people today to celebrate "Easter" or "Christmas"... I suppose this is just another proof that we no longer live under the law, but instead grace.
verse 17... sometimes God takes/leads us the long way, but is it for the best, and probably actually the easiest over all for us... God knows us intimately and cares about us enough not to push us "over the edge", but to still help us grow in Him.
verse 19 (in reference to Gen 50:25)... Cool! What a testimony to the Hebrews memory and reverence... kind of a commemoration of the fulfillment of God's prophesy and promise.
verse 21-22... I have always loved the "pillar of cloud" and "pillar of fire", and how they NEVER left their place in front of the people... God is a faithful leader... He always is with us and guiding us if we just choose to see and follow Him (anytime, day or night)! :)

Chapter 14: verse 2... so, sometimes God does make us go in circles to fulfill His will... that makes me feel better because I have recently (and at other times in the past) gotten so frustrated when I feel like I am walking in circles, but I also feel like I am doing what God wants me to do... I just thought that I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere, but couldn't figure out where or how... a wise friend of mine once asked me why I thought that the answer had to be that I had stepped off the path or been misled... I've been pondering that ever since... I never fully understood this before, but thankfully now I do and it is SO comforting and reassuring to me! :)
verse 7... just wondered if the "chariots" refered to are actually "groups" of soldiers or whatever, because it says that they were "with officers over them all"... so, either only officers drove them; the officers were over all the forces in general; or the "chariots" were groups that had officers over each group... probably not of any importance, but it just struck a curiosity button with me. :)
I find it kind of amusing (in a "laughing at myself, too", kind of way), that the Israelites march "boldly" (verse 8) when they thought they were home free, and then they were immediately fearful again (verse 13) when they relized they still faced some opposition... my faith can be so wishy-washy too, and although it is my true desire to become more steadfast, it is a comfort to know that I am not alone in this struggle. The study notes also make a note about how equipped the Egyptians were compared to the Israelites and how that played a part in their reactions... I know that I do this-there are many times that I feel so ill-equipped for the work God has called us to, yet I forget it is God that has done it all and will continue to do it all, both now and in the future, anyway... also, God doesn't want me to be able to handle it on my own, because then I don't learn to trust Him, and the glory doesn't point to Him.
verse 12... reminder to stop always looking for the "greener grass" and call brown yucky "grass" what it is, not immortalize it as "lush"... God gives us past "slavery" and a memory of it in our lives for a reason... probably so we don't fall back into it, among other possibilities... for clarification, by "slavery" I mean whatever had kept an unhealthy hold on us or taken the place of God, like addictions, love of the world, etc.
verse 14... LOVE this verse!... I have used this verse to remind myself to bite my tongue on more than one occassion when I just want to "fix" of "justify", but I know that I shouldn't for various reasons... this verse is very helpful in arguments (should they ever occur, on very rare occassions) with my spouse, to help keep myself in "check" :) .... I also like it in conjunction with Ephesians 6:12 when we realize that it is the Lord's battle and His victory to win overall anyway.
verse 19-20, and verse 25, too... I like how the pillar switches to the back... it reminds me that God is both our leader and our protector... He is everything we need exactly when we need it! Also, I like how God shows His division and love for His people again, and His limitless power, just like He did in Egypt... Boy, what a box I put God in! Lord forgive me!
verse 21-22... I have always pictured the Israelites walking along and looking at the fish staring back at them... like it was the first aquarium or something. :)
verse 31... and then the Isrealites feared and trusted the Lord... God must have been thinking, "Finally!!!"... What does it take for me to finally trust God? Why do I require Him to do so much before I trust Him? Do I fully trust Him yet? Hasn't He done enough already? And how long is my trust? Forever? Just until the next hardship or easy time?

Ok, so here is a random thought: I really am growing to like the Hebrew writing. They repeat themselves all the time, just like I do... so next time someone makes fun of me for repeating myself so much I am just going to tell them that I am "speaking Biblically". :) Seriously, though, I like how they give the ending, then, fill in all the details of the story, give relief spots here and there, and then repeat the main ideas at the end, and tie it all together by reminding the reader of the promised ending, which has now come to pass. I think it is a pretty cool way to write... kind of goes along with the guidelines for good expository/report writing that we learn nowadays.... and helps me remember better. :)
Have a great night!

In His Love,
sandJ

1 comment:

  1. Read it and got side track with work. Forgot to post.
    Sandj

    ReplyDelete