Chapter 26: verse 3-12... with promises like that from a faithful trustworthy God, why would anyone NOT follow His commands? Yet, even as I ask this question, I know my own heart all too well, and I find myself thinking about the words of Paul in Romans 7, where He talks about how he knows what is right and wants to do it, but just can't seem to make his actions obey... oh, how weak we are and how blessed we are to serve and be loved by such a perfectly holy and awesome God! The study notes make reference to another similar blessing in Deuteronomy 28:1-14. verse 13... the last half of this where it talks about the yoke makes me think about Matthew 11:28-30, where Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."... how often do I take on more than I need to because I am relying on my strength to accomplish something and not on the power of God?... yet, Jesus wants to teach me how to rely on Him and help me do all He has purposed me for... God reminds me almost daily of His words in Galations 3:3 ("Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?")... yes, yes, yet again do I need to remember this today... verse 14 and on... you had me at "do not"... wow... at least God is giving them fair warning and explaining the consequences, in stages, of their failure to obey... isn't this the same basic message God gives in other parts of the bible, like from Jonah to the Ninevites, and in the book of Jeremiah, as well as other places? verse 16: I need to remember not to "plant seeds in vain" in missions, but instead to do it by obeying God and allowing Him to do it through me.... it is so true that if we try to "plant" without God that our enemies reap the benfits by snatching away the "harvest" that we should have been preparing for God... think about the people who are turned off from God because of the thoughtless and sometimes even intentionally hurtful acts of God's people... we must truly be on guard against such things verse 34-35: God will have His way... we have the option of going along with His plan or not, but we can never thwart His plan... we must make no mistake- God is NOT dependant on us, He is just kind enough to let us be a part of what He is doing. verse 36... ok, wow, that is scared verse 37... "you will not be able to stand before your enemies"... without God we can not withstand the things of this world, and we cannot hope to conquer... that is why we must put on our "spiritual armor" so God is with us and we are on His side (see Ephesians 6:10-20) verse 36-39... I wonder if God would have raised up another "chosen people", or if there would have eventually been a faithful remnant (like Noah was)?... ok, question answered... see verse 44... I need to remind myself to have a little patience, sorry. verse 41... BUT there is HOPE... reminds me of 2 Chronicles 7:14 ("if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.")... there is hope for us here in the United States (and worldwide for that matter), if we will just confess our sins, humble our hearts and turn back to God, He will heal us and heal our land... it just makes me want to scream at our government "stop taking God out of everything! you are killing us!" verse 46... did Moses make yet another trek up Mount Sinai, or was this from the previous trip? Just curious, not that it matters.
Chapter 27: verse 2-9... interesting and kind of cool... one question though, why did the person have to pay in order to serve God more?... see an example of this type of dedication in 1 Samuel 1, when Hannah gives her son to God... as a parent, how can I "give my child to God"? verse 10 also verse 33... thank God for lifting this rule so that Christ could be substituted for us... but notice that if there is a substition, both are to be considered holy... that ties into why we are considered holy in God's sight not since Jesus substituted Himself for our payment of our sins.... and at the end of verse 33 it says that once the substitution is made and both become holy, they can not be taken back... once we become Gods, we are His forever (see John 10:28-30, and John 6:37) verse 11... why would someone vow a ceremonially unclean animal? what good would it be and what could it be used for?... verse 27 seems to say that these unclean animals are then sold? verse 26... you can't give to God what is already His that He has laid claim to. verse 28... no take backs... what you give to God remains God's... if we give our lives to God, we remain His forever... what a comfort there is in knowing that we can have assurance of our eternal life in the Lord! verse 29... I do not want the title of "devoted to destruction"
PS... comment on verse 10 and 33 (above) has a correction, sorry... "that ties into why we are considered holy in God's sight [] since Jesus" [take out the "not" there, please]... also, "once we become God's," (that is an apostrophe "s"... just wanted to clarify that I am not saying we will become gods ourselves, but instead that we will belong to God)... ok, I feel better about these now. :)
The IDEA: Romans 1:12-That we may be mutually strengthened, encouraged, and comforted by each others faith. Have you ever read the whole Bible before? We have never done it. We want to share God’s Word, but how can we if we do not know it.
The PLAN: Ecclesiastes 4:12-One person is easily overcome, but two can stand together and conquer. Three is even better, though, as a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. With each others help we can succeed-So, let us team up and read the Bible in a year.
The DATE: We will start Dec 26, 2009 - Dec 26, 2010.
The FYI: We will read 3-4 chapters each day, starting in Genesis, and post thoughts daily. If you do not have a Bible, you can access many translations at www.biblegateway.com. You can also download an audio for each chapter at: http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm
Chapter 26: verse 3-12... with promises like that from a faithful trustworthy God, why would anyone NOT follow His commands? Yet, even as I ask this question, I know my own heart all too well, and I find myself thinking about the words of Paul in Romans 7, where He talks about how he knows what is right and wants to do it, but just can't seem to make his actions obey... oh, how weak we are and how blessed we are to serve and be loved by such a perfectly holy and awesome God! The study notes make reference to another similar blessing in Deuteronomy 28:1-14.
ReplyDeleteverse 13... the last half of this where it talks about the yoke makes me think about Matthew 11:28-30, where Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."... how often do I take on more than I need to because I am relying on my strength to accomplish something and not on the power of God?... yet, Jesus wants to teach me how to rely on Him and help me do all He has purposed me for... God reminds me almost daily of His words in Galations 3:3 ("Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?")... yes, yes, yet again do I need to remember this today...
verse 14 and on... you had me at "do not"... wow... at least God is giving them fair warning and explaining the consequences, in stages, of their failure to obey... isn't this the same basic message God gives in other parts of the bible, like from Jonah to the Ninevites, and in the book of Jeremiah, as well as other places?
verse 16: I need to remember not to "plant seeds in vain" in missions, but instead to do it by obeying God and allowing Him to do it through me.... it is so true that if we try to "plant" without God that our enemies reap the benfits by snatching away the "harvest" that we should have been preparing for God... think about the people who are turned off from God because of the thoughtless and sometimes even intentionally hurtful acts of God's people... we must truly be on guard against such things
verse 34-35: God will have His way... we have the option of going along with His plan or not, but we can never thwart His plan... we must make no mistake- God is NOT dependant on us, He is just kind enough to let us be a part of what He is doing.
verse 36... ok, wow, that is scared
verse 37... "you will not be able to stand before your enemies"... without God we can not withstand the things of this world, and we cannot hope to conquer... that is why we must put on our "spiritual armor" so God is with us and we are on His side (see Ephesians 6:10-20)
verse 36-39... I wonder if God would have raised up another "chosen people", or if there would have eventually been a faithful remnant (like Noah was)?... ok, question answered... see verse 44... I need to remind myself to have a little patience, sorry.
verse 41... BUT there is HOPE... reminds me of 2 Chronicles 7:14 ("if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.")... there is hope for us here in the United States (and worldwide for that matter), if we will just confess our sins, humble our hearts and turn back to God, He will heal us and heal our land... it just makes me want to scream at our government "stop taking God out of everything! you are killing us!"
verse 46... did Moses make yet another trek up Mount Sinai, or was this from the previous trip? Just curious, not that it matters.
Chapter 27: verse 2-9... interesting and kind of cool... one question though, why did the person have to pay in order to serve God more?... see an example of this type of dedication in 1 Samuel 1, when Hannah gives her son to God... as a parent, how can I "give my child to God"?
ReplyDeleteverse 10 also verse 33... thank God for lifting this rule so that Christ could be substituted for us... but notice that if there is a substition, both are to be considered holy... that ties into why we are considered holy in God's sight not since Jesus substituted Himself for our payment of our sins.... and at the end of verse 33 it says that once the substitution is made and both become holy, they can not be taken back... once we become Gods, we are His forever (see John 10:28-30, and John 6:37)
verse 11... why would someone vow a ceremonially unclean animal? what good would it be and what could it be used for?... verse 27 seems to say that these unclean animals are then sold?
verse 26... you can't give to God what is already His that He has laid claim to.
verse 28... no take backs... what you give to God remains God's... if we give our lives to God, we remain His forever... what a comfort there is in knowing that we can have assurance of our eternal life in the Lord!
verse 29... I do not want the title of "devoted to destruction"
PS... comment on verse 10 and 33 (above) has a correction, sorry... "that ties into why we are considered holy in God's sight [] since Jesus" [take out the "not" there, please]... also, "once we become God's," (that is an apostrophe "s"... just wanted to clarify that I am not saying we will become gods ourselves, but instead that we will belong to God)... ok, I feel better about these now. :)
ReplyDelete