Chapter 1: Ok, I am very glad I was not a priest at that time, because that is really yucky stuff... granted I get creeped out by making a turkey at Thanksgiving, or baiting a hook and taking the fish off...but still, too many details for me in this chapter.
Chapter 2: Ok, I could handle this one... God just wants the best.
Chapter 3: Back to yuck... I would have to stick with the grain offerings found in the previous chapter... I'm so glad that Jesus came and we do not have to do this anymore!
I am sure there is a reason for all the details involved in the yuckiness, but I don't have any suggestions. Does anyone know if the people had a choice of what kind of offering to make, or did they have to do certain ones for certain reasons?
Well, on to more offerings tomorrow... don't eat and read at the same time. :)
Much Love,
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Read it.
ReplyDeleteSandj
I went back and read the Study Notes parts of these chapters (and the beginning "Invitation to Leviticus")... yes, I had been slacking the last couple of days. So, here are the insights provided by the Study Notes:
ReplyDeleteFirst, Leviticus, as with the other 1st five books of the Old Testament, are traditionally attributed to Moses as the author. The composition time is only estimated, and thought to be in either the 13th or 15th Century BC, depending on when the Exodus occurred.
The THEME of Leviticus is: Reconcilliation and sanctification.
Historical Background: "The events of this book take place after the Exodus from Egypt and the giving of the law at Sinai, and concern the formalizing of Isrealite religious practice. In Exodus, instructions were given for the building of the tabernacle; here in Leviticus, regulations are given for how to worship there."
Characteristics [with emphasis added in places]: "To the modern reader [obviously me, as I commented about the 'yuckiness'], Leviticus may appear hoelessly outdated with its strange rituals, disturbing economic practices, and the blood and gore of animal sacrifice, yet the questions it seeks to answer are as important for us as they were for the Israelites. How do we remain reconciled to God? What is the proper way to worship a holy God? How are we to act toward each other within the context of God's covenant? Leviticus answers these and other questions faced by the Isrealites using symbols FAMILIAR to THEM. FOR US, the KEY to understanding Leviticus is looking beyond these strange symbols to the UNDERLYING PRINCIPLES describing God's way of holiness and reconciliation."
The Study Notes then ask some good questions: "If Leviticus were dropped from the Bible, what would be missing from the story of God's redemptive work in History?"... we must remember that each book of the Bible is there for an eternal reason...the whole Bible is one story of God redeeming us back to Himself... He is our God and we are His people.
Also, "When was the last time you felt 'broken' or in need of restoration? What did you 'sacrifice' in order to accomplish this? In what sense was this similar to the sacrifices of Leviticus?"... I love how these questions bring back to my mind the relevence of this book and its writings... I can get so caught up in the details that I forget to look at the big picture and see what God is really trying to tell me today.
"How does your New Testament view of a relationship to God move beyond the law and ritual of Leviticus?" (see Romans 9, specifically verse 30-31; Romans 10, specifically verse 13; Romans 11, specifically verse 6; Ephesians 2:4-10; as well as many others)
And this is a great reminder and statement of accountability we should all take to heart: "To get the most out of Leviticus, what will you put into it?"... I challenge each of us, with me most definately included, to try our best to look beyond the 'yuck', to pour ourselves into reading and searching, and to allow ourselves the quiet time we need to hear the Spirit's words and learn all that God is wanting to teach us in this book, for OUR daily walk with Him, both now and in the future.
Many Blessings My Dear Friends,
sandJ