Friday, January 1, 2010

Genesis 24-26 today... Genesis 27-30 tomorrow...

Read it.
Sandj

Love your comments, Val! This blog won't let me go back and read what you said again as I'm typing without losing this part, so please forgive me for not commenting on all you said yesterday, but I so loved your insights! I especially loved what you said about suffering, and the purpose for it... I also liked your first 2 comments, too... as I was reading them, I was like, "That is so good!" Thank you so much for taking the time to post each day, because we learn so much more when you do! Thanks also for the info on the Roman traditions... I know that foundationally those things don't really matter, but I find it interesting that some of the details that I always just took for granted because I saw them on a movie, or was taught it in a story book in Sunday School, are actually not the way I was always told... it is really reconvicting me to want to study more, because I so want to make sure that everything I pass on it the full truth... thanks for helping me learn the answers to the sometimes, not eternally important questions! :)

4 comments:

  1. -24 The chief servant was definitely put in an awkward spot, but handled it very well. He explained his story very well to Rebekah's family (something I sometimes fail to do when I believe I'm on God's mission, but fail to fully explain what this mission is to others), then humbly waited for their answer, by telling them it was okay if they said no.
    -24:58 I think of the women of these times as so sheltered, but to think that Rebekah had the choice to stay, but bravely said she would go with the servant, was impressive - how many excuses do I have today against God's will for my life?
    -25:11 I thought it was interesting that it said "after" Abraham's death, God blessed Isaac. He was 75 years old.
    -25:21 I've always loved the fact that when Isaac prayed that Rebekah would conceive, it was his prayer that was answered. It makes me think about what things my husband has prayed on behalf of me that I have reaped the blessings from and not known it was due to his prayer.
    -25:26 Isaac and Rebekah were married 20 years before she conceived. And today we consult fertility specialists after 6 months. Not to say we shouldn't, just made me think.
    -25 I love it when Pastor Hawks says this was the worst deal made in all of history - selling your birthright for a bowl of stew
    -26 the Lord re-confirms his covenant to Isaac - I like that it says it's because Abraham obeyed him - we know Abraham wasn't perfect, and so often I confuse obedience with perfection. I think that if I'm not perfect, then I haven't perfectly obeyed him.
    -26:7 Isaac pulled the "sister" lie, too, just like Abraham
    -26:35 the daughter-in-laws (Esau's wives) were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah. Am I ever a source of grief to my mother-in-law?
    On that note I'm going to bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, many of these details are that, just details. They are truly not that important, but, I think the point is, when you love someone, you want to know the details, and you seek out the details, so although those things are not of eternal importance, they do show your great love of Jesus, to really know him, and dig up all the details you can about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 24: The thing I took away from this to apply in my life is the rememberance of the idea that I should pray (and encourage my children to pray) now, for their future spouses.... pray that God will show us who he chooses (and trust Him in this)... pray that they will be people of good character, who have God's blessing... and pray that my children will be that for their spouses. I also liked the sidenote in the study guide that asked (in reference to Rebekah watering the camels, verse 19) Who are you going to "water the camels" for this week... who are you going to go the extra mile for... how can you be this to others this week, especially your spouse? I liked that and am going to try to apply it.

    Chapter 25: Never knew Abraham had another wife, just always thought Sarah was his only wife (verse 1). I liked verse 21 where it talked about Isaac praying on behalf of his wife... that is something I should do more of (pray for my spouse, on their behalf, not because I want something). I also thought that when God told Rebekah the "why" she was having issues (verses 22-23) that it is probably good that I do not always know the "why" behind things in my life... I often ask why, but I do not think that I would really want to hear the answer... I think instead I ask because I want to hear God say that He will remove the issue and fix it according to my desires... but looking back over my life, I am glad that He does not listen to my plans on most things, because I would be in a world of hurt if He did. :) I'm glad He is sovereign and God... and that I am not.
    Also, still think it is crazy that Esau gave up his birthright for some soup, but I do have to be honest and say that I am sure that I have done the same basic thing on various levels at various occassions.

    Chapter 26: First, I was amazed at how many famines there are... just a random side note.
    Anyway, the main thing I took away from this is that Isaac really followed in his fathers footsteps: the good, the bad, and the indifferent (the good: had covenant with God-verse 2-6 and 24, learned to worship with alter-verse 25, learned to trust God through barren wife- Gen 25:21; the bad: lie about wife/sister, only completely false in Isaac's case, as she was not even his half-sister-verse 7; the indifferent: made oath with Abimelech at same place, although my study notes say that Abimelech might be a title like Pharoah or something, but he did bring the same commander with him, Phicol-verse 26-35)... this made me think that of course some things are beyond our control (like barren wives), but we should be aware about what is in our control because our children watch what we do and will imitate us, whether we like that or not (too many personal stories to recount at this point)... we should not only try to be good role models for them, but we should be honest about our flaws and mistakes, so we can pass on to them what God teaches us in those, too, so hopefully they can avoid the same sins.
    Study notes also suggested that blessings are not earned or given based on merit/good deeds... Isaac and Abraham messed up but God still blessed them (see stories of lying about wives and how they still became wealthy... also suggested Romans 9:15 and Exodus 33:19)... sounds familiar though... salvation based on grace and faith, not by works so no one can boast (Eph 2:8-9, and Romans 3:21-4:5).
    And, finally, I thought it was interesting to note that Esau married two Hittite women that were a "source of grief" to his family (verse 34-35)... the Hittites were decendents of Ham and the Canaanites... the very people Abraham did not want his son to marry out of... I wonder if that is part of why God said He hated Esau (Malachi 1:3), because Esau turned his back on God... it also reminds me yet again how important it is to follow God's leading when choosing a spouse... I am really convicted about that now and plan to pray for my kids spouses from now on.

    Have an awesome night!
    God Bless,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments, Val! Good night, too. :)

    ReplyDelete