Monday, January 25, 2010

Leviticus 13-15 today... Leviticus 16-19 tomorrow

Read it.
Sandj

3 comments:

  1. Chapter 13: Wow! The priest had to be a doctor, too! I know that God is very detailed and that is awesome, but I have to admit that I am glad that our doctors nowadays have a little more indepth training than this.
    Some study notes comments... "the Hebrew word translated 'infectious skin diseases' alos means 'mildew'"... yuck, huh... also a note to compare how Jesus treats sick people (see Matthew 8:1-4)
    verse 40... I had to smile... a plus to being bald! :)
    verse 45... I wondered why this was, since it seems to me that wearing old torn up clothes and not caring for hair would encourage uncleanliness to spread on the person... if they don't feel the need to keep themselves clean, they could get sicker from bad hygene, wouldn't they?
    verse 46... I get that this is to keep it from spreading, but I still feel bad for them. :(
    "Mildew Section"... those priests wore a lot of hats! Yet, if they could take a Sabbath with all they had to do, I suppose I should be able to do that too... easier said than done somehow, though.... another thought, too... it seems that regardless of what was discovered about the mildew, the articles were torn up or destroyed basically anyway... why waste the time and bother with it at all then? why not just destroy it to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 14: verse 12... what is a 'log of oil'?
    verse 14-18... still think it is weird... what IS the symbolism or need for this?
    verse 22... was anyone ever too poor to sacrifice the minimum? what happened to them, if they were?
    Some Study Notes things for the above section... 'Given such socially ostracizing regulations for infectious skin diseases, how tough do you think it would be for someone healed of a skin disease to then re-enter the social life of the Isrealite camp? How would the rituals detailed here help both parties overcome their respective difficulties? Of these rituals, which seem to you to have actual medicinal value? Which have largely ceremonial value? Which may have relational value? What people does the Christian community ostracize today?' Is this God mandated or society decided? What does Jesus think about this (see Matthew 9:12-13)? How could you go about righting any wrongs that you have made concerning this?
    On to the "Mildew" section... verse 34... why would God put mildew in someone's house? was it to protect them from something prior to their "ownership" in Canaan? I guess I never think of those kinds of things as being God ordained, but He is over all things... I mean if He can make the wheels fall off the Egyptians chariots (see Exodus 14:25), then He can do anything He wants with anything, both human or animal, both animate or inanimate... He did create it all, or at least create the creativity that made it, so He is the Creator of all, in which case He can do as He likes with it, and has the power to do so.
    verse 40-53... I smiled at this thinking back on my Realtor days... I don't think this would pass a home inspection or satisfy the health department nowadays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 15: overall this chapter was crazy to me, until I realized that all these rules (both here and throughout) are not really for God, so much as they are for the person doing them... sometimes we need to take part in our healing so we feel clean, and so it seems real to us... so with that self reflection, I think that most if not all of these were for the person, not for God.
    With that said, I do have a couple of other comments on certain laws and such...
    verse 8... that would just be rude!
    verse 19-23... speaking from a woman's standpoint, my theme still stands (glad its not me and not now)... I mean, how could a person clean their house, cook meals, or care for kids... you'd be basically unclean and outcast a quarter of every month... not cool!... did make me think of Rachel back in Genesis 31:35 and made her excuse make more sense.
    verse 25... see Luke 8:42-48 for story of woman who was healed from this by touching Jesus's cloak (through faith)... it makes that story become more powerful to know how outcast and lonely she must have been!
    verse 20-30 sparked my indignation... I mean, come on, is it really necessary to add insult to injury and make her have to sacrifice something every month... also, can you even imagine how BUSY the priests had to be!... I guess it is a way to keep your people coming back and being regular attenders at "church", but glad that's not instituted today.
    Some Study Note remarks... 'Given this extensive list, how much time do you think the average Israelite spent unclean? Would this affect their relationship with God negatively or postively?' When you have to focus on God so much of the time, it definately builds your relationship with Him and allows you to meditate on who He is and what He really wants from you.
    Now this one made me smile... 'Where would a desert people get all the water for the many prescribed baths?'... a very good question, I think! :)
    Good to look at Hebrews 9:8-10 for some modern clarification "The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still standing. This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order."
    And final note is about how Jesus used the idea of washing, as well as other means to heal people, too (see John 9:7)

    Overall, let's remember that all God's actions are part of His redemptive plan to bring His people (all of us) back to Him. He loves you! :) So, have a wonderful night!
    In His Love,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete