Chapter 23: verse 3... I like the term "sacred assembly"... sometimes we forget the importance of "corporate worship" (basically getting together in a group to worship God)... yet, God tells His people that that is the only thing they are allowed to do on the day of Sabbath - to get together with other belivers and worship Him.... why? maybe so we can encourage each other and remind each other of the importance of the day? (see Hebrews 10:24-25)... maybe because God really loves the "family" get together time, as it reminds Him (and us) of the things to come when we will all be in Heaven, reunited once again, and eternally, with Him and each other (see Revelation 7:9-17, and others)... so many times we think that worship is about us, but it is so not... it is always about God. verse 4-8: the study notes talk about how Christ is our Passover "lamb" and makes reference to 1 Corinthians 5:7... only He's better than just the wimpy Old Testament sacrifices, because Jesus only had to sacrifice Himself once for all, because He was the perfect sacrifice (see Hebrews 10) verse 14: we must remember to always put God first... why? because it is He who gave it to us and we must remember to honor and thank Him properly by giving our best and first to Him for His rich blessings.... sometimes I think, "but it I give it to God, I won't have it when I need it", but isn't that just a dumb thing to say? I mean, if God gave it to me, then He can give it again when I am in need, and also, if He gave it, then isn't it His anyway?
verse 22... I like this idea (it is also seen in Ruth 2, I believe)... we need to remember to not only give our first to God, but to also save some to help others... so often I want to take care of only myself, but God blesses us so we can bless others (remember Genesis 12:3)... and beside, if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't I want to be helped by others when I was in need... another thought too, have you ever noticed how when you follow God's commands, to give to God first, and to save some to help out others, that you have more than you need, but when you are stingy, you never seem to have enough? Crazy, huh? Study Notes say that the "Feast of Weeks" is called "Pentecost" in the New Testamen (see Acts 2:1), and that the theme of the festival (both in Old Testament and New Testament) is Missions... with the apostles telling the Good News in "tongues" in Acts and here with the outreach to those in need.... it's kind of a theme of Gods to be holistic... to help with both the spiritual and physical needs of people (many examples of this throughout New Testament) verse 27: I like the terminology "deny yourselves"... the footnotes say the meaning here is "fasting", which we usually think of as "abstaning from food"... however, we could really "fast" from anything, like television, or chocolate, or work, or???... whatever we are putting before or in place of God... how often, especially here in America, do we ever "deny ourselves"? It is common place to have things "our way"... there are even places like Burger King and Subway that capitalize on that idea... yet, God says that it is not about "our way", it is about His way... and the best way to refocus off of ourselves and back onto Him, is to deny ourselves, so that we can remember what it was that we were supposed to be focused on. verse 30-32... interesting that God says He will destroy anyone who does not deny themselves, from work no less... if someone does not rest on the Sabbath, God will destroy them... boy, does that go against what they tell you nowadays... it seems like the opposite is instilled in us, that only by working without ceasing will we become successful... but God says here that if we do not rest, we will be destroyed... makes sense why workaholics have heartaches and stokes so much, huh? Interesting thought to have to deny yourself work, since many of us complain that we have to work... however, we were make to be workers (see Genesis 2:5) and it is in our very nature to delight in work, but God knows that work can easily become an idol in our lives and keep us from taking the time to be quiet and still in Him.... without that time with God, He can not fill us and we can not be renewed or gain His guidance in our lives... so, yes, maybe we can work ourselves to death and have some measure of "success" from it, but without a focus on God, and Him ordaining it, we must ask ourselves, "Is it really worth it in the end?" verse 37-38: do we ever think to give above and beyond our regular giving for special things for God, or do we just take out of our regular gift and redistribute it when the need arises? Something to think about in light of God's commands here. Study Notes say that Christ has fulfilled the original purpose of the Day of Atonement (verse 26-32)... reference for this is Hebrews 9:7-15, Hebrews 10:1-10, and Hebrews 13:11-12... this is also the day that Jesus chose to reveal Himself... He did so on the greatest day of the feast (see John 7:37-39)... The study notes ask what the significance of this choice in days was... The Study Notes also suggest that, in reference to the idea of living in booths (see verse 42), is why Peter may have suggested that they build shelters in Mark 9:5-6, after Jesus's transfiguration.
Chapter 24: verse 12... I like how they waited on the Lord and did not act until God's will was clear to them... I know I struggle with this as I like God to be on my time frame instead of patiently and joyfully accepting His.... I have so much to learn and so much growing yet to do! verse 16... so blasphemy is to use God's Name in a curse?, or is it claiming to be God when you are not? (see John 10:33)... or maybe it is a combination of things?... blasphemy was part of God's laws given in Exodus 22:28, as a "do not"... blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is apparently the only unforgivable sin (see Mark 3:28-29, Matthew 12:31-32, Luke 12:10)... any additional insight into this whole idea would be appreciated. :) verse 16-17... so murder (the taking of a life of a person that requires payment by death) is only termed so when God has not commanded the death? If God ordains the death of someone, then the person who takes the other ones life is not to be held responsible? verse 19-22... the "eye for an eye" thing is something that I did not get, but the study notes suggest that God was actually putting this in place out of His loving and just nature, because the assumption is that the people and cultures around the Israelites were much more cruel in their retaliation, so by setting limitations on retribution, God was giving guidelines on fairness and acting justly (see also Exodus 21:23-27)... so maybe God was then giving the people baby steps in a way... bringing them to the idea of "fairness" first and then, when Jesus came, God brought them to the next step of going above and beyond to show love (see Matthew 5:38-43)
Chapter 25: verse 14-17... I like the basic idea behind this, but from my real estate background, I am thinking that this would make for a crazy transaction nowadays... however verse 16 makes a good point that we are really only ever buying the "life" or "use" left in something... funny how nowadays real estate seems to go up in price the older it gets, but I think that has to do more with inflation... I'm getting into Economics now and that is not my favorite subject, so I better move on. :) verse 18... God gives us laws for our own good... when we follow them, we live much safer lives... anyone who has ever tried to steal and ended up in jail, or got beat up, or whatever can attest to this (among the consequences of any other of the many sins we can commit) verse 20-22... ok, so God was obviously reading my mind and my side notes! :) I love how God cares enough to address their very real concerns so that they do not have to focus on their needs or worry about them or be consumed by them, but instead can just solely focus on the faithfulness and loving complete care of God in their lives. verse 23: All we have is God's... so often I forget that my life and my possessions are just on rent and temporary in my possession... that they are really God's... if I lived like I really believed this, how would my life have to change because of it? Am I willing to make those changes? If not, why? What will be the consequences of such choices? verse 25 and on... I like the concept behind redeeming things and your life and everything being put back to right in the Year of Jubilee... it's like being given a clean slate... better than a bankruptcy! Can you imagine that happening in the United States today? I don't know if anyone would actually abide by the law? I also like how God expects people to take care of their families and help out each other and the poor... it is refreshing when compared to the "loner" mentality we so often experience today... however, God is still at work in the hearts of His people as I see so much generosity from those who love God! verse 55 (and others)... "the Israelits belong to me as servants"... how often do we really believe that we BELONG to God... we like to take comfort in the idea of being His when it relates to blessings or comfort, but what about when it relates to the idea of service for Him?... He did buy us with the price of His life, yet we act like HE owes US... how do we get things so messed up and backwards? and so easily? We need to remember that the idea of being God's is that we cannot sell ourselves to be slaves of anyone or anything else... although we so often try (to money, to worldly things, to people, to debt, to..., etc)... remember when Jesus says you can't serve two masters (see Matthew 6:24-25)?... it is interesting that Jesus follows this idea up with the command to "not worry"... when we remember our place, we can rejoice because we serve a loving master who provides all we need.... the flip side is a scary place to be, though, if you think about it.... the study notes also reference Romans 6:15-23 in regards of our life in Christ.
The IDEA: Romans 1:12-That we may be mutually strengthened, encouraged, and comforted by each others faith. Have you ever read the whole Bible before? We have never done it. We want to share God’s Word, but how can we if we do not know it.
The PLAN: Ecclesiastes 4:12-One person is easily overcome, but two can stand together and conquer. Three is even better, though, as a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. With each others help we can succeed-So, let us team up and read the Bible in a year.
The DATE: We will start Dec 26, 2009 - Dec 26, 2010.
The FYI: We will read 3-4 chapters each day, starting in Genesis, and post thoughts daily. If you do not have a Bible, you can access many translations at www.biblegateway.com. You can also download an audio for each chapter at: http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm
Read it. Spending time with each other and will comment tomorrow.
ReplyDeletesandJ
Chapter 23: verse 3... I like the term "sacred assembly"... sometimes we forget the importance of "corporate worship" (basically getting together in a group to worship God)... yet, God tells His people that that is the only thing they are allowed to do on the day of Sabbath - to get together with other belivers and worship Him.... why? maybe so we can encourage each other and remind each other of the importance of the day? (see Hebrews 10:24-25)... maybe because God really loves the "family" get together time, as it reminds Him (and us) of the things to come when we will all be in Heaven, reunited once again, and eternally, with Him and each other (see Revelation 7:9-17, and others)... so many times we think that worship is about us, but it is so not... it is always about God.
ReplyDeleteverse 4-8: the study notes talk about how Christ is our Passover "lamb" and makes reference to 1 Corinthians 5:7... only He's better than just the wimpy Old Testament sacrifices, because Jesus only had to sacrifice Himself once for all, because He was the perfect sacrifice (see Hebrews 10)
verse 14: we must remember to always put God first... why? because it is He who gave it to us and we must remember to honor and thank Him properly by giving our best and first to Him for His rich blessings.... sometimes I think, "but it I give it to God, I won't have it when I need it", but isn't that just a dumb thing to say? I mean, if God gave it to me, then He can give it again when I am in need, and also, if He gave it, then isn't it His anyway?
verse 22... I like this idea (it is also seen in Ruth 2, I believe)... we need to remember to not only give our first to God, but to also save some to help others... so often I want to take care of only myself, but God blesses us so we can bless others (remember Genesis 12:3)... and beside, if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't I want to be helped by others when I was in need... another thought too, have you ever noticed how when you follow God's commands, to give to God first, and to save some to help out others, that you have more than you need, but when you are stingy, you never seem to have enough? Crazy, huh? Study Notes say that the "Feast of Weeks" is called "Pentecost" in the New Testamen (see Acts 2:1), and that the theme of the festival (both in Old Testament and New Testament) is Missions... with the apostles telling the Good News in "tongues" in Acts and here with the outreach to those in need.... it's kind of a theme of Gods to be holistic... to help with both the spiritual and physical needs of people (many examples of this throughout New Testament)
ReplyDeleteverse 27: I like the terminology "deny yourselves"... the footnotes say the meaning here is "fasting", which we usually think of as "abstaning from food"... however, we could really "fast" from anything, like television, or chocolate, or work, or???... whatever we are putting before or in place of God... how often, especially here in America, do we ever "deny ourselves"? It is common place to have things "our way"... there are even places like Burger King and Subway that capitalize on that idea... yet, God says that it is not about "our way", it is about His way... and the best way to refocus off of ourselves and back onto Him, is to deny ourselves, so that we can remember what it was that we were supposed to be focused on.
verse 30-32... interesting that God says He will destroy anyone who does not deny themselves, from work no less... if someone does not rest on the Sabbath, God will destroy them... boy, does that go against what they tell you nowadays... it seems like the opposite is instilled in us, that only by working without ceasing will we become successful... but God says here that if we do not rest, we will be destroyed... makes sense why workaholics have heartaches and stokes so much, huh? Interesting thought to have to deny yourself work, since many of us complain that we have to work... however, we were make to be workers (see Genesis 2:5) and it is in our very nature to delight in work, but God knows that work can easily become an idol in our lives and keep us from taking the time to be quiet and still in Him.... without that time with God, He can not fill us and we can not be renewed or gain His guidance in our lives... so, yes, maybe we can work ourselves to death and have some measure of "success" from it, but without a focus on God, and Him ordaining it, we must ask ourselves, "Is it really worth it in the end?"
verse 37-38: do we ever think to give above and beyond our regular giving for special things for God, or do we just take out of our regular gift and redistribute it when the need arises? Something to think about in light of God's commands here.
Study Notes say that Christ has fulfilled the original purpose of the Day of Atonement (verse 26-32)... reference for this is Hebrews 9:7-15, Hebrews 10:1-10, and Hebrews 13:11-12... this is also the day that Jesus chose to reveal Himself... He did so on the greatest day of the feast (see John 7:37-39)... The study notes ask what the significance of this choice in days was...
The Study Notes also suggest that, in reference to the idea of living in booths (see verse 42), is why Peter may have suggested that they build shelters in Mark 9:5-6, after Jesus's transfiguration.
Chapter 24: verse 12... I like how they waited on the Lord and did not act until God's will was clear to them... I know I struggle with this as I like God to be on my time frame instead of patiently and joyfully accepting His.... I have so much to learn and so much growing yet to do!
ReplyDeleteverse 16... so blasphemy is to use God's Name in a curse?, or is it claiming to be God when you are not? (see John 10:33)... or maybe it is a combination of things?... blasphemy was part of God's laws given in Exodus 22:28, as a "do not"... blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is apparently the only unforgivable sin (see Mark 3:28-29, Matthew 12:31-32, Luke 12:10)... any additional insight into this whole idea would be appreciated. :)
verse 16-17... so murder (the taking of a life of a person that requires payment by death) is only termed so when God has not commanded the death? If God ordains the death of someone, then the person who takes the other ones life is not to be held responsible?
verse 19-22... the "eye for an eye" thing is something that I did not get, but the study notes suggest that God was actually putting this in place out of His loving and just nature, because the assumption is that the people and cultures around the Israelites were much more cruel in their retaliation, so by setting limitations on retribution, God was giving guidelines on fairness and acting justly (see also Exodus 21:23-27)... so maybe God was then giving the people baby steps in a way... bringing them to the idea of "fairness" first and then, when Jesus came, God brought them to the next step of going above and beyond to show love (see Matthew 5:38-43)
Chapter 25: verse 14-17... I like the basic idea behind this, but from my real estate background, I am thinking that this would make for a crazy transaction nowadays... however verse 16 makes a good point that we are really only ever buying the "life" or "use" left in something... funny how nowadays real estate seems to go up in price the older it gets, but I think that has to do more with inflation... I'm getting into Economics now and that is not my favorite subject, so I better move on. :)
ReplyDeleteverse 18... God gives us laws for our own good... when we follow them, we live much safer lives... anyone who has ever tried to steal and ended up in jail, or got beat up, or whatever can attest to this (among the consequences of any other of the many sins we can commit)
verse 20-22... ok, so God was obviously reading my mind and my side notes! :) I love how God cares enough to address their very real concerns so that they do not have to focus on their needs or worry about them or be consumed by them, but instead can just solely focus on the faithfulness and loving complete care of God in their lives.
verse 23: All we have is God's... so often I forget that my life and my possessions are just on rent and temporary in my possession... that they are really God's... if I lived like I really believed this, how would my life have to change because of it? Am I willing to make those changes? If not, why? What will be the consequences of such choices?
verse 25 and on... I like the concept behind redeeming things and your life and everything being put back to right in the Year of Jubilee... it's like being given a clean slate... better than a bankruptcy! Can you imagine that happening in the United States today? I don't know if anyone would actually abide by the law?
I also like how God expects people to take care of their families and help out each other and the poor... it is refreshing when compared to the "loner" mentality we so often experience today... however, God is still at work in the hearts of His people as I see so much generosity from those who love God!
verse 55 (and others)... "the Israelits belong to me as servants"... how often do we really believe that we BELONG to God... we like to take comfort in the idea of being His when it relates to blessings or comfort, but what about when it relates to the idea of service for Him?... He did buy us with the price of His life, yet we act like HE owes US... how do we get things so messed up and backwards? and so easily? We need to remember that the idea of being God's is that we cannot sell ourselves to be slaves of anyone or anything else... although we so often try (to money, to worldly things, to people, to debt, to..., etc)... remember when Jesus says you can't serve two masters (see Matthew 6:24-25)?... it is interesting that Jesus follows this idea up with the command to "not worry"... when we remember our place, we can rejoice because we serve a loving master who provides all we need.... the flip side is a scary place to be, though, if you think about it.... the study notes also reference Romans 6:15-23 in regards of our life in Christ.