Thursday, February 25, 2010

Deuteronomy 32-34 today Joshua 1-2 tomorrow

Chapter 34 the death of Moses...
Death can be hard for some people. Death of a much-loved family member is stressful for many. To help deal with grief, be sure to talk about it. You could read this passage and begin a conversation and start with... It's all right to be sad when someone we love dies. Even though we know that he/she is with God, we miss him/her and feel very sad. How did you feel when he/she died? Then express your own feeling and describe them as fully as you can. It's ok to cry too.
Talk about what things that do you remember about him/her. Then you tell them of some special time you remember with him/her. He/She was a special person to us. Let's thank God for him/her and the good times we remember.
Share your love and grief with one another.

With Love,
Sandj

4 comments:

  1. Chapter 32: first few verses seem like a nice song, like a ballad or worship love song... the second half, however, seems to be like a hard-core heavy metal song, not too upbeat... but the ending is like a victory song, in that God is telling His people that He will have compassion when their strength is gone, and will bring them to life and heal them, God reminds them that throghout it all, He is on their side and they will be victorious in Him.
    verse 44-47... I wonder what the people thought, or how they reacted when they heard this song... I can't imagine singing such a song to my kids, like I do the ABCs or some other such song I want them to learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 33: these blessings somewhat coincide with the blessings of Jacob in Genesis 49, like Zebulun's, and others don't seem to relate at all.
    verse 7... this verse reminds me to stop trying to fix things on my own and instead, to give it to God.
    verse 13... interesting that Moses blessed the tribe of Joseph as one instead of two (Manasseh and Ephraim), as they always seem to be separated elsewhere.... verse 13-16 seem to be good blessing verses for farmers
    verse 21... 'he carried out the Lord's righteous will'... my goal is to have this said about me
    verse 25... 'your strength will equal your days'... I got a great devotional from a book called "Jesus Calling" (November 11 entry)-'I (God) know what each day contains and I empower you accordingly. The degree to which I strengthen you on a given day is based on two main variables: the difficulty of your circumstances, and your willingness to depend on Me for help. Try to view challenging days as opportunities to receive more of My Power than usual. Look to Me for ALL you need, and watch and see what I will do.'... God gives us the strength we need each day to face the specific challenges that day will bring... this is one reason not to look ahead, because we are not equipped for it/that time, yet... NKJV(New King James Version) states this verse in this way-'As your day, so shall your strength be.'... see also Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-34 (do not worry about tomorrow...)
    veres 26... I like the word picture in this verse... 'ride on the heavens to help you'
    verse 27... do not worry about falling (or fulfilling), just obey... God's right there to hold you up... like 'invisible bridge' in Indiana Jones movie.
    verse 29... 'who is like you, a people saved by the Lord? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword'... how true this is... only we who believe in Jesus as our salvation and in the loving God who sent Him, have assurance and comfort, peace and purpose in this life... why would we not want to share that with everyone we meet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 34: verse 1... ok, I have to admit that I am totally impressed that Moses, at age 120 was able to climb a mountain... it reminds me of a commercial that was out when I was a little kid, that showed this really old man training for a marathon, I think, and then talked about the health benefits of Chaquita Bananas... God is definately better for you than Chaquita Bananas!
    verse 6... cool that God buried Moses... even in our death, we are never alone... God provides and cares for us even then.... also kind of cool to think that Moses's grave was mysteriously hidden... I wonder if archeologists have ever found it in more modern days?... just curious
    verse 7... again, greater than Chaquita Bananas is God!
    veres 9... interesting to note that Joshua was filled with the Spirit of wisdom and that is why the people listened and obeyed him... it was because of God in Him that the people responded... so often we think it is up to us to do all that God has told us to do, yet, it is never up to us... it is always about God working through us... our job is to say that He can, the rest is under the guidance and power of His Spirit in us... that is why God can use anyone for His glory (and why He prefers to use those who are weak according to worldly standards)... becuase it is all about Him working through us... not what we can do in and of ourselves.
    verse 10-12... no one until Jesus?

    I know that these first 5 books are traditionally said to have been written by Moses, but I wonder if at least Deuteronomy was co-written by someone else, like Joshua, maybe, since Chapter 34, at least couldn't have been written by Moses, since he would have been dead at that point... at least I would assume this,unless God gave him foreknowledge of these things to record, or something.... any theological insights about this?
    Much love,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete