Sunday, February 7, 2010

Numbers 28-30 today... Numbers 31-33 tomorrow

Chapter 28: nothing really stuck out to me here... I'll check my study notes tomorrow and add more if I see anything.

Chapter 29: only thing I noticed was that each day of the Feast there was one less bull offered and on the last day, when it would have been 6 bulls required, it was only 1, plus the 14 male lambs was cut in half to 7... any history or theology on the whys of this?

Chapter 30: interesting that the need was there for men to superceed the vows of women... also, thought it was interesting that if a man did not respond to what his wife made known to him about her vows, etc, then he was cofirming them by his silence... it behooves a man to listen to and respond to his wife, then, huh :)

That's all I've got for tonight... my bibles in the car and it is cold outside, so I'll get it and review my study notes tomorrow and add more then, if I see anything. Have a great night!
God Bless,
sandJ

2 comments:

  1. Chapter 28: The study notes point out that the Israelites were to make the daily offerings, and that we should consider what kind of daily offerings we make to God...do we even spend time with or focused on God everyday?
    I wonder if it is significant that these commands for daily, weekly, monthly and yearly offerings were given (and in some instances reiterated), just after the commissioning of Joshua... maybe like God is saying, yes, there is new leadership over you, but I am still the same and you still need to show Me (and your new leader) the same respect that I've always required? Also, as Joshua appears to have less power than Moses did (see Numbers 27:20), that may have something to do with why the amount of offerings was bumped up... so that the people remained more focused on God, and gave Joshua less of a headache, since he could not talk directly to God (Numbers 27:21), it would take him longer to deal with problems and uprisings?

    Chapter 29: the study notes make some scriptural references to add clarification of these events...see Leviticus 23:23-25 for more on Feast of Trumpets; see Leviticus 16:29-34 and Leviticus 23:26-32 as references for the Day of Atonement; see Leviticus 23:33-44 for more on the Feast of Tabernacles... for New Testament references of these events (and Jesus's fulfillment of things), see Hebrews 9:7-15, Hebrews 10:10 [and other verses], Hebrews 13:9-17, John 7:37-39, Mark 9:2-10)

    Chapter 30: the study notes add no extra insight on this chapter

    ReplyDelete