Read it.
sandJ
Chapter 17: verse 1-7... ok, admittantly intimidating.
verse 8-28... you know, we could comment about how the Isrealites had yet again forgot the strength they had in God, but I want to take a different look at this... maybe God was just waiting for the right time (when the people had truly realized that they could do nothing without God) before God sent in the final "lesson" of the battle: David. Sometimes we get so focused on looking at the negatives and the downfalls, that we forget that it is not about us, it is not about the Isrealites, it is not about people in general, it is about God... maybe we could stand to focus on Him a little more, and realize that David was not a back up plan when the Isrealites chickened out... God has one plan, and He executes it perfectly... the Isrealites were already defeated in their attitudes and in the worship of God, so God was giving them a good lesson to get them to do an about face and bring them back to the realization that God is God and they are not, and only God is worthy of worship... not the big fierce Philestines, not the mighty king, not about the jealous haughty arrogant brothers, not about the daughter of Saul, nor about a prize or glory or honor, not about David even, or about the individuals themselves (or should I say 'ourselves', too), not about created things like intimidating armor or imposing weapons... it is only and always about focusing on, worshipping, and trusting in the One True Creator God
verse 29... ok, this verse reminds me of the cry of all younger siblings in light of their older brothers and sisters self-supposed wisdom and goodness... ok, moment is now over, moving on...
vesre 30-37, 41-47... we should take a lesson from David's unwavering faith and trust in God... let me repeat that in hopes of clarification and significance... faith and trust not in himself, but in God... we can so easily allow others negativity and doubt creep in and overtake our faith... there will always be people out there who want to tell us we are not good enough or capable enough, or old enough, or big enough, or strong enough, or whatever enough... they are most liekly right... but that is not what matters... that is not the point... it is not about what we are or are not, it is about what God wants to accomplish through us and to what we are willing to let Him do that... it reminds me of the verese in 1 Corinthians (17-31): For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. Christ the Wisdom and Power of God For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." [Isaiah 29:14] Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."'... this seems quite true of David.
verse 38-39... just curious, if David was Saul's armor-bearer (see chapter 16:21), but he couldn't wear Saul's armor, then how did David "bear" if for Saul? If it was too heavy to wear, then it would be even harder to carry I would think... not important I suppose, but still curious to me... on a more theological note, we can take a lesson in the value of not try to be someone we are not, and not trying to become like someone else to accomplish what God is calling us to do... if God had wanted someone like the other person to do the job, then He likely would have just called the other person instead.
verse 40...I always wondered why he took 5 stones... a PS here: the study notes talk about "weapons" we can use to "fight the 'Goliath' in our lives"... they site Ephesians 6:17 (sword of the Spirit), Ecclesciates 4:9-12 (strength of Christian fellowship), Matthew 5:39 (turning the other cheek), Joshua 1:9 (God's presence), and Matthew 26:41 (prayer against temptation)
verse 48-51, 54, 57...why did David cut off Goliath's head if he was already dead? was it a cultural battle thing to do to show victory? was it a prize of respect for the king (Saul)? what was it about?
verse 52-53... yes, the men came into the battle late, but as I am thinking about that, I am reminded of Jesus's parable about people who enter the 'spiritual battle late'... those who accept Christ at the last minute or in their later years of life, verses those who have been Christains for many years, or even their whole lives and have 'fought the good fight' (1 Timothy 1:18, 1 Timothy 6:12, 2 Timothy 4:7) and been 'poured out' (Philippians 2:17, 2 Timothy 4:6)... His parable goes like this (Matthew 20:1-15): workers came to work in a field at various points of a day, at the end of the day, the field owner paid everyone the same wage, when some complained, he said "Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?" (verse 14-15)... basically, I think Jesus is saying, "you have your salvation, which I gave you quite generously, mind you. so, what difference does it make to you if I choose to give others salvation, too? It is My salvation to give, so I can give it to whoever, whenever I want to. If you don't like it, maybe you want to give yours back? didn't think so, so stop begrudging other people the same joy of eternal life."... we can so easily get caught up in the battle of who has what, and forget about the importance and immense value of what we have been given so freely, and our lack of deservedness, in the first place... I pray we don't fall into that temptation.
verse 55-56, 58... why didn't Saul know who David was? especially since it was David who played music for him, and was one of his armor-bearers? was it because when God is truly working in and through us, then we look different, because all anyone can see is God and not us? there is a pastor who comes to our church sometimes, who prays that we will see less of him and all of God... I think that that should be our goal at all times, and I wonder if that is what is going on with David in the sight of Saul right now?
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Read it.
ReplyDeleteSandj