Saturday, January 9, 2010

Exodus 1-3 today... Exodus 4-7 tomorrow...

I am listening to this on Audio again today... I am slacking, but will make sure to read it and do the study notes starting again tomorrow...

Exodus 1: I like the midwives excuses... the Hebrew women are vigorous and give birth before we get there. :) It is awesome to see how even through the oppression that the Egyptians are giving, God continues to bless the Israelites... just like He does with us. Also, it made me think that I should not get too comfortable in my current circumstances, when things are going well, and forget that not all of life is promised to be easy, because part of God's plan for my life may be hardship, so I should thank Him for the easy time, but not become comfortable.

Exodus 2: I did not realize that Moses's mom was never given a name. Now that is true love... to give up your child because you know that they will have a better life... it really makes me appreicate women who choose to give their children up for adoption... to love your child and know that the gift of life is the best gift you have for them... that takes a strong love and a strong woman.
When Moses killed the Egyptian man, he must have thought he was doing the right thing, but it came back to bite him because doing something wrong, even with good intentions, does not make it right... I need to remember this because sometimes I try to justify my actions, when really I need to be repenting.
I like how it says that God looked on the Isrealites and was concerned about them... sometimes I can forget that just because I am in a hard spot doesn't mean that God has stopped caring about me... He is still concerned for me and loves me.

Exodus 3: I love how God just lays it all out and gives the whole plan... and then, it is so. Just like in Genesis 1... God speaks, and so it is... This is one of my favorite chapters... Chapter 3:3- God uses things to get our attention and peak our interest so we will willingly seek Him... Jesus did that when witnessing, too, see "Woman at the Well" story in John 4... This "focus" point also gives us something to work off of as God espands our mind to what He really wants us to "see" or know.
verse 5-6... we should pay respect to God and give Him the honor due Him, however, it is awesome to know that now a days, we no longer have to be afraid to "see" God... but we should still remain reverent of His holiness for His glory (see 2 Corinthins 3:13-18)
The rest of the chapter is broken down like this in my mind...
God said "Go", Moses said "Why Me?"... God said "I will be with you, now Go", Moses came up with some "what ifs"... God said "I AM GOD. GO. NOW. I AM, so I WILL, so you will." Moses kept asking "what ifs" again and gave excuses... God said "I made you. I know who you are. I AM with you. Now Go.", Then, Moses asked God to send someone else... God had been patient up to this point, and encouraging but Moses's whiny defiance made God very angry. Moses lack of confidence not just in himself, but also in God was like a slap in the face to God, but God did not destroy Moses, instead He continued to encourage him, gave him a helper of "flesh" to hold onto and told him to "GO" again. Finally, Moses did. This makes me think about how often am I exactly like Moses? At what point do I need to get to before I say yes to God's "GO"?
Also, just a side reference... verse 14: I AM is also Yahwah... see John 8:58-59 for Jesus's use of "I AM".
The Study Notes made a comment about the importance of the name of God... "In ancient Near Eastern cultures, a name made a statement about the essence and power of whoever carried it: a god's pwer was available only to the one who knew his personal name, like a 'Password'."

Much Love,
sandJ

3 comments:

  1. Extra comments...
    The name of the Pharoah of Exodus is never given in the Bible, and apparently the Egyptian and other historical texts and things do not mention this escape [makes sence not to advertise the "failures" of your nation]... no exact date can be given to the events in Exodus, but recent archaelogical findings suggest the time to be around 1300-1250 BC.
    The book Exodus is centered around mostly Moses, who is assumed to be its author, and two major redemptive acts: the Exodus from Egypt and the establishment of the Covenant at Sinai... In fact, Moses and these events are so fundamental to an understanding of God's plan for the redemption of humanity that it could be argued that much of the Bible is a dialogue which reacts to, explains, implements, elaborates, and complete the redemptive plan of God as it is revealed in this book - Ideas above taken from the "Invitation to Exodus" as written in the NIV Seredipity Bible for Study Groups.

    Sounds like another important book in the Bible (not that any of them aren't), but let's dive in and learn all we can!
    Much Love,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. -1 This is a subject I've grappled with before in this part of the Bible and others. The Hebrew midwives lied in order to save the Hebrew baby boys. The text also says that they feared God, and because they feared God, he was kind to them gave them families of their own. Does that mean in this instance it was ok to lie, or is it another example of godly people doing the wrong thing, but still being blessed?
    -2 I'ts always striking to me how brave Miriam, Moses' older sister was in this story. Also, what a selfless love his mother had for him. I strive to have that same love for my children, to put God's will in their lives first, and my own emotions, comfort, etc, last.
    -2:12 Moses is a murderer, not the picture most think of when they think of Moses
    - 3 God is so amazing to plan people perfectly for his work - what other person would be so sympathetic to the Israelites, and believe in their God, yet also have the "in" with Pharoah to have the chance to talk with him about freeing them
    Love the thoughts, thanks!

    ReplyDelete