Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Exodus 38-40 today... Leviticus 1-3 tomorrow...

The last several chapters reports the construction of the tabernacle. It was stated twice and in detail. Clearly it was important for Israel to have a place to worship the Lord. A place to gather in order to build a relationship with God.
Think about the place where you worship. Does the church and its ministry encourage you to grow and to build supportive relationship?
Only as you grow in your own relationship with God are you able to model Christ in your family. So look for a place where God is REAL to the teacher, the Bible is an exciting book, and the teacher is eager to share his or her faith.

The place where we worship is important.

God Bless you with wisdom,
Sandj

4 comments:

  1. I'm having a stressful, frustrating day, so my mind is kind of slanted right now, but as I'm reading all these instructions and completions, it makes me think, how in my own life it would be nice to receive such detailed instructions about day to day things... for example, if God told me exactly (step by step) how to discipline my children for each act of disobedience, or what to teach them and laid it out in a daily lesson plan, or how to spend each part of the weekly paycheck, or how to understand my husband in entirety, or who to talk to about Christ and when and how (specifically)... I try so hard to make sure I am doing His will, yet alot of times I get so uncertain about whether I am really following and obeying, and just feel focused on the ways I am messing us... this is especially true in the details of life. I know that there is frustration in too little freedom, but I wonder if there is frustration in too much freedom? And if so, is this freedom God has given me, or freedom I am unrightfully taking?... Or, maybe I am just looking at things or doing things wrong on some level (or altogether)... being introspective is tiring! I would love for God to come down and inspect my "work" and tell me where I have it right, or where I need to rework something... and give me the step by step of the "how"... although maybe if He did, I would miss the freedom of choice He gives us... afterall, it is out of love that He did not make us robots, so for that, I am thankful.

    Anyway, on to today's chapters...

    Chapter 38: the instructions for "the alter of burnt offering" (verse 1-7) is in Exodus 27.
    The instructions for "basin for washing" (verse 8) is in Exodus 30... also, question- who were these women? what did they do to serve?
    The instructions for "the courtyard" (verse 9-20) is in Exodus 27
    "the materials used" (verse 21-31) were asked for in Exodus 25... question- why did Moses record all these amounts? (verse 21) Just cause it was amazing to see, or what?... Ok, I just can't help myself- in verse 24, that is a "ton" of gold... haha... the footnotes say that 29 talents and 730 shekels is equal to a little over a ton. :)
    verse 26... there were alot of Isrealites, if there were 603,550 men twenty years and older, when you add in women, children, and slaves(?), that is a bunch of people... it really puts into perspective the enormity of the job God asked Moses to do... makes my whining about caring for a few kids seem out of place and petty.
    verse 27... don't know why for sure, but I thought it was cool that the 100 bases were made from the 100 talents given... cool that God allowed for the exact provision needed for obedience.... my OCD, "Monk" side probably likes the even,round numberes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 39: all the peices discussed here (verse 1-31) have their instructions given in Exodus 28
    verse 3... cool! Can you imagine making such thin strips of gold by hand?
    verse 10-14... I wonder why each specific stone was chosen for each name... what was the meaning behind the stones chosen in relation to each one?
    verse 25... why pomegranites? symbolism or just tasty? :)
    verse 43...I kind of expected Moses to say, "and it was good" like God says in the creation story in Genesis 1... not to compare man's handiwork as being equal with God's, or even close, but that was just how I read it... the study notes suggest this thought: when (or if) God inspects my work, is (or would) He (be) pleased?... would (or does) He give me a blessing for a job well done?... the notes also say, "Are you motivated to keep doing your best and receive from God that ultimate blessing 'Well done good and faithful servant?'" (Matthew 25:21)... I have to admit that I needed to hear that question, because I felt like just throwing in the towel a couple of times today, so I am glad for the reminder to keep at it.... "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:8-9,18)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 40: verse 12-16... I got thinking that I do not remember Moses being annointed or consecrated, but maybe I am forgetting it... anyway, if no one annointed/consecrated him, then, why not?, and why the big deal for the others now?... and if I am forgetting it, then, when was Moses annointed/consecrated? and how?
    verse 33... I thought it was fitting that Moses was the one to finish the work since he was the one God started the whole thing (at least this part of everything) with (see Exodus 3)... also, I liked how Moses was given all he needed to obey God and was then in charge of assembling the final product... I guess that is how God works in our lives, too... He gives us all the things we need, and then we have to put it together... with the help of His Spirit guiding us and the fellowship, encouragement, and wisdom of other believers... although there are some parts of our journey with God that I think He wants us to go alone, so we can be fully focused on what He is trying to tell/teach us.
    verse 35... why couldn't Moses enter the tabernacle when the cloud was there, since he had been in God's presence many times before? Was the "before" God's veiled presence somehow, and this is now God's full presence? Is that what "God's glory" means, then?- "God's complete presence"? or "all of God and who He is"?
    verse 36-37... Makes me think about the verse "Wait for the LORD;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the LORD." - Psalm 27:14
    How often do I not wait for God's presence or guidance before I decide to move on-no wonder sometimes I feel God's not around... I left Him behind... or at least left Him out.
    verse 38... God really seems to like to be in clouds... maybe rainy/cloudy days are the days when God's glory is really resting on the world/us-makes rainy days not seem so bad and depressing when I think of it that way. :) I know that it is just something that people tell little kids, but it does kind of make sense to think that the reason it rains, then, is because God is crying... if I were God, I would cry when I looked over all the sin and devestation that is in the world (Ecclesiastes 4:1)... thank God for His hope in Jesus, that this life is only temporary and we will one day live in a place full of eternal joy, with our loving Creator, Savior, Comforter, and Friend (Revelation 21:3-5)... one more thought on this verse...cool that the presense of God was obvious and "in their sight"... do I keep God "in sight" in my life? is His presence obvious in my life? if not, why? And how can I change this? Do I need to go back, or simply turnaround to see Him? Do I need to open my eyes?
    The Study Notes make a good final analysis... "Many times people try to put "God in a box", meaning they try to define what God can and cannot do by the systematic constructs of their finite mind. How do you ensure that you use these boundaries to UNDERSTAND God and not to LIMIT Him?"

    Well, congrats on finishing Exodus!!! Way to go!!! On to Leviticus tomorrow. Have a wonderful night!
    God Bless,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS One other thing I thought about Moses putting up the tent... I've done that by myself before, and it is no easy task... sometimes obedience is not easy, but always worth it... I'm sure the tent was totally awesome when fully assembled! Ok, now I'm done. Night! :)

    ReplyDelete