I love Moses, because he makes me think that if God can use him, then God can use me too... I am every bit as whiny and a scaredy cat (Exodus 4:3) as Moses was, and God did great things through him... not that being whiny and fearful is our goal at all, but it reminds me that God is not limited by our weaknesses... God can do anything regardless of how unamazing we seem/are, and that makes Him so much more amazing (2 Corinthians 12:9)... it also makes it that much more amazing that He allows us to participate in all that He is doing... it is so humbling and such an honor.
Chapter 4: verse 5-I never realized the significance of the Egyptians knowing the God of Jacob,etc, before, but they would have known of Him becuase Joseph knew Him, and although the Pharoah now did not know of Joseph (Exodus 1:8), there had to have been records of him and thus records of God. verse 14, it says that Aaron is already on his way to meet Moses... I like this, because it is a reminder that God already knows what we'll say and what it will take for us to follow, and so He has already gone ahead to prepare... I know we say "Getting ahead of God", but we really can't go ahead of God, although we do like to try to get off course sometimes.
I like verse 16-17... God's almost like, "If you think you know so much more than me, and feel the need to doubt me, then you see what it is like to be God.... and if your idea doesn't work, try Mine, like I, God, suggested to begin with." :) Moses seems to think it is a good idea, because he now decides to go... but later he finds its not so easy to fill God's shoes, and ironically complains when the people don't listen and do as he says.... hmmm... :) It does seem though that God took some of Moses responsibility away and gave it to Aaron, but did it result in Moses losing some of his blessing to Aaron, too? I can't judge though, as I know that I do this sometimes... it does make me wonder what hardships I bring on myself (and others) because I try to be God, instead of just trusting Him to be and do what He says.
Verse 21 (and others)... I heard a great explanation of "harden his heart" one time, and I can't for the life of me remember any of it right now... any good comments on this?
Ok, verse 24-27 is weird, and I can imagine why I have not heard a sermon on this, but does anyone have any ideas or thoughts as to why this is here... to show the significance of giving yourself fully to God?... to ???
Chapter 5: Ok, verse 2 would make me like run for cover from lightening bolts or something... I mean, wow! how bold is that!... but he'll know the Lord soon enough, and isn't that what we all need to remember, that we all must bow before the throne of God at some point, either now by choice or later at judgement (Romans 14:10-12).
I found it interested that in verse 19-21, when they "realized they were in trouble", they didn't rally with God (and Moses and Aaron), instead, when hard times got harder, they turned their back on the help they had asked for... it remindes me of a joke I heard a long time ago: there was this person stuck on their roof and it was flooding. The person prayed, "God save me!". A short time later, a boat came by, and the owner asked the person on the house if they wanted a ride. The person on the house said, "No, God will save me." The waters rose higher. Again, the person on the house prayed, "God save me!". Soon, a rescue helicopter arrived. The person on the house turned them away, saying, "No, God will save me." The waters rose higher, and the person prayed again, "God save me!". The coast guard arrived, and told the person on the house to get on their boat, because it was the last chance. The person on the house again told them to leave because "God will save me." The waters rose higher, and the person on the house died. When they went to Heaven and stood before God, they said, "God, why didn't you save me?" And God said, "Who do you think sent the boats and helicopter?"... Anyway, it is best to recognize and thank God for His help and not push it away... it comes down to our trust in God... do we believe He hears, cares, and will help, or don't we?
Verse 22-23... I like how Moses, even though frustrated and confused, still "returned" to God... I feel like this sometimes, when I look at what God has asked us to give up, and all the obstacles that have come up since we agreed to His plan (whether reluctantly or not), but I remind myself that I must remember that God is God, and I am NOT... that it is not about me looking like a hero, it is about God being glorified... and He has a plan... it is HIS plan not mine, and He will do it as He sees fit... He is perfect, so I just need to trust and obey, and it will all turn out exactly as it is supposed to in the end... "very good".
Chapter 6: God starts off the chapter by telling them how it will be... "because of ME (not you, not Pharoah, not the Israelites, not who or whatever), but because of ME, GOD, you will be free".... and moves on to verse 6 reminding them that He is a God who upholds His promises.
verse 7 is an overarching theme throughout the Bible: I am your God and you will be my people.
verse 8 is cool, in that God says He will "give" the land to them... it is a gift, not an earned thing... sometimes God does give us gifts as possessions, but we must remember the other part of that covenant... they are blessings solely so we can be blessings (back to Genesis).
verse 9 was so powerful to me... "BECAUSE of their discouragement" and hardships they did not listen to God's word... isn't that so true... when we feel like God doesn't care, the last place we want to be is in His word, yet it is the first and only place we should be because it is there that we can see how God has worked in our lives, how He is working, and how He promises to work... and that His promise is good and faithful... I think this is why God then takes the time to remind Moses and Aaron of their history and lay out the strategy to them all over again (verse 13-27)... plus, the study notes point out that verse 26 says that they are to "bring out the Isrealites by their divisions", and the geneology would remind them how to do this, plus give Moses and Aaron the confidence booster of who they were (both for their sake and the rally of the "kinship bonding" of the others).
Chapter 7: verse 5... one reason hard times come is so we can recognize God, without a doubt, when we see Him... maybe because we didn't recognize Him when all was good.
verse 12 is a reminder that even though Satan masquarades as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14), and tries to imitate God, Satan is still a created being and NOT as powerful as God.
verse 18 made me wonder, so the Egyptians could not drink the water, but it didn't say the Isrealites... could they drink it?
and then, verse 24 made me wonder: so, was the groundwater not blood? These two thought made me think about how God shows that He still loves them, because He doesn't want to kill them, just get their attention... I know the old saying is "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", but maybe it would be better stated in another way... something like, "whatever doesn't kill you directs you to God".
So, on to more plagues tomorrow... :)
Have a wonderful night!
God Bless,
sandJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Read it.
ReplyDeleteSandj
Oh, PS to yesterday... Moses's mom's name is given... it is in the geneology in Chapter 6, verse 20... if I am reading it right, Moses's mom's name is Jochebed... just an answer to a question/comment from yesterday. :) Good night!
ReplyDeletesandJ
-4 "what if's" and excuses from Moses - I totally empathize, yet read in 3rd person it sounds so pathetic - like, it's all about me, Lord, instead of, I so get how big you are and know you can do anything and you're just using me as a vessel and it's not about me and all my insecurities.
ReplyDelete-4 the Lord sending Aaron as a helper was somewhat of a judgment because Moses asked him to send someone else
-4:20 sounds like Moses went immediately to Egypt when the Lord asked him to, immediate obedience is good
-5 the work got harder just before the Israelites were freed - good to remember when the work gets tough, sometimes it's nearing the end - the work became much harder for Moses as well, and the opposition came early
-6:12 & 30 Moses still won't let go of his insecurities
-7:6 Why did I always think Aaron was the younger brother?
- 7 God hardened Pharoah's heart, interesting to think that he sometimes does that in situations
-Comments from your's" I thought 4:24-26 was weird, too - the NIV has the footnote that it may have been "Moses' son" and not Moses himself which makes alot more sense to me than if it was Moses
-Great thoughts for today. I'm finally back on track!