Sunday, January 3, 2010

Genesis 34-36 today... Genesis 37-40 tomorrow...

7 comments:

  1. Here's the title page so you can post when convenient for you today... we will try to remember to do this every night before, unless you tell us you don't like doing it this way.
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. - 34 Umm, no comment
    -35 Wow, I still can't get over God actually talking to people here on earth. What a profound experience that must have been. Then again, I get to read his Word everyday - what a profound experience that is!
    -35:16-19 Benjamin is born, the son that Rachel had asked for when she named "Joseph" meaning may he add from 30:22
    -35:29 The picture of Jacob and Esau burying Isaac together reminded my how important reconciliation is.
    -36 Didn't really get much out of the geneologies to be honest, so I read a commentary, and it was interesting that Matthew Henry's thought was that this was a time of waiting for the Israelites, and they would have been slaves in Egypt during the time of the reigns of all of these Edomite kings, so this may have been a time of trial for them to focus on the hope of the promised land, vs. the reality of the reigning Edomite kings. I totally paraphrased that, but I hope you get what I'm saying. I thought that was pretty good.
    I just realized I write a lot more when I don't understand something than when I do - oops! :) Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, we won't post ahead since it seems to be of no benefit (at least at this point) and is also kind of confusing... it we are wrong in this, please let us know. Thanks! :)

    Ok, I have to backtrack to yesterday for a moment, because I was reading your comments (and thanks so much for all your help and research and insight)... and I got on the "Wrestle with Angel" link, and was like, Wow!... because... earlier today I thought I was having this crazy radical thought, and was trying to dismiss it, but couldn't seem to... I kept coming back to the idea of the verse that says no one has seen God and no one can see God's face and live (1 John 4:12, Judges 13:22, I know there is at least one more but I can't find it in my search right now) yet both Abraham and Jacob claimed to have spoken with or seen God face to face (Abraham when he was overlooking Sodom and Gomorrah with the 3 visitors, one of which was "Lord" Genesis 18; and Jacob when he was wrestling with God Genesis 32:22-32; there may be more but those are the ones I remembered off hand)... anyway, my thought then went to the Holy Trinity, with an explanation as H20 in its 3 forms: ice (solid), vapor (gas), water (liquid)... the names of the 3 forms never change, where solid is considered vapor, or liquid is called ice or whatever... but they are all water... so, then, in reference to God, if we apply the same idea, then each time the human form is seen, it must be Jesus (the name given to God in human form)... and John 1 tells us that He was with God in the beginning... so, my crazy thought was that whenever the Bible mentions God in the form of a man, then it must be Jesus... which means that the first time Jesus came in human form was not at the birth from Mary...so, then that made me think that each time God comes in human form it is for a specific purpose, which falls in line with the time He came in human form to die on the cross... it was for a specific purpose, and He had to be in human form the longest at that time in order to fulfill the entire purpose of His being part of the human race "Immanuel, God with us"... and when He came back after resurrecting, it was for a purpose, too... anyway, my mind wandered to other parts of this idea, and I thought that I must have been way off and was probably being sacreligious but it was all kind of making sense... however, I was trying to put it out of my head until I read Matthew Henry's commentary on Bible Gateway... the souce you gave... and a reliable source I would think since it was on Bible Gateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/Matthew-Henry/Gen/He-Wrestles-Angel)... anyway, he said the same basic thing that Jacob was wrestling with "...the second person of the sacred Trinity, who was afterwards God manifest in the flesh, and who, dwelling in human nature, is called Immanuel..."... that would be Jesus. I am still trying to get my mind around this, as it is totally different than anything I had ever thought... and it really makes the "Christmas story" that much more special, because then Jesus wasn't coming blindly into the world not knowing what it meant to be a person, He'd done it before and was willing to suffer through it all again... anyway, I could be WAY off, and if I am, sorry... I actually wasn't going to post any of those thoughts, but since the link also said it, I kind of felt I should share... sorry if that is crazy talk, please disregard all my comments if it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On to today, Chapter 34...
    The only thing I was able to pull out on my own was the idea that "two wrongs don't make a right" and that it seems that Jacob's sons were way worse to Shechem and his people then they were to Dinah, not to dismiss that horrible, awful, unthinkable crime against Dinah, though... but anyone who loves someone so much that they are HAPPY to get circumcized for them must really care about the person... However, after I read the commentary, the Study Notes gave some other insights: "Instead of returning to Bethel immediately, as commanded by God [see 31:13; 35:1], Jacob lingers at Shechem, which lies along the main road from Peniel to Bethel. How might this put his clan unnessarily at risk? What reward did Jacob think was worth the risk of "lingering" when God said "Go"?"... Then, the study notes asked when I've done this in my life... that made me think... No one ever tries to bring trouble on themselves or their family, but God does give us instructions for a reason... I do not always pay that close of attention sometimes because I guess I didn't think there was any harm in "tarrying" a bit, or whatever... but I think that I am going to re-evaluate and ponder this a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chapter 35: I thought it was interesting that God reminded Jacob that His new name was Israel (Gen 35:9-10, and 32:28)... as I thought about this, it seemed to make sense that God was kind of telling Jacob, "I know you ignored me and messed up, and you may think that I have abandoned you, but I haven't forgotten about you or the promise/blessing I made to you"... I am thankful for that, because it made me think about how sometimes I need God to remind me of my "new name" in Christ, too... and I am thankful that He is willing to have me back when I make a mess of things and ignore Him.
    I also liked how God passed on His blessing (the one He gave Abraham and Isaac, too) Genesis 35:11-13... it cool to see God provide the continuity and continuation of His promise for the benefit of Jacob.
    In verses 16-19, the study notes reminded me that in Genesis 31:32-35, Jacob said that anyone who had stolen the gods from Laban would die, and even though Jacob did not know this applied to Rachel, God did, and so she died... but not without God fulfilling her request for another son (Genesis 30:24), which she got in Benjamin. So, it made me think 2 things: first, God allows us time on earth to carry out the purposes He has willed for us, but when we are done, then He allows us to pass on (go to Heaven for those of us who follow Him, and ...)... it was kind of a bittersweet thought, and I am still contemplating it... the 2nd thought I had was that God really does listen to what we say, ask for, promise, pray for, etc... He answers our requests/prayer and He fulfills promises... so, first off, we should be mindful of our tongues and be careful what we say, and secondly, I thought that if God is doing this in my life, maybe I just don't always see it because I don't know all the details (like Jacob didn't know Rebekah had the idols, etc)... that thought led me to a prayer: God, please do not answer my prayers with a yes which lack wisdom or foresight, ones that I vent out of anger or stupidity, and please do not answer any of my prayers with a yes which counter You will, God. Amen.

    Chapter 36: I discovered that the "chiefs" mentioned were "the head of 1000 or clan". I did wonder why Anah was pointed out, and what significance his finding the hot springs had (verse 24)... Any ideas? And finally, I thought it interesting the wording at the end of verse 43, which the study notes commented on... Esau's family only lived temporarily "in the land they occupied", but Jacob's family lived in the land that God gave them, and had "possession" of the land in God's eyes regardless of where they lived, and still do... part of God's blessing. (I hope that makes sense, as I am trying to restate it in fewer words... maybe not successfully).

    Have a wonderful night!
    God Bless,
    sandJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for all the posts... I guess I was too wordy to post in one post... ok, have a great night! :)

    ReplyDelete